FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Engine swap ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JayKayCee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayKayCee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap ?
    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:01am
Hi ...  I have a 2007 2.5D manual with an ok but tired engine ...
by a stroke of luck I can get a replacement reconditioned engine from a guy who managed to wreck much of his bodywork and is scrapping the vehicle .
The thing is .... his is an automatic and I am wondering what differences there are with the bell housing etc.
is it a straight transplant of the engine ... or do I need to consider the ecu and other electronics or will they just function with the different engine ?
Sponsored Links

Back again View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Back again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:31am
A few years ago I helped the next door but one neighbour swap the engine out of his manual Mondeo for a replacement he had sourced from an auto. He had done his research and was assured it would work with only a few changes.

The first was obvious, we had to remove the torque converter from the auto engine and replace it with the flywheel and clutch from the old manual. Simple enough but I remember one potential pitfall that no one had told him about, the flywheel bolts from the auto were longer than the ones from the manual. If we had put the longer bolts back in to the auto engine when fitting the manual flywheel they would have probably fouled inside the crankcase causing catastrophic damage.

The next was the crank position sensor. It was a while ago but either sensor or housing was different. Use the auto set up in a manual and the sensor will be too far from the flywheel to pick up a signal. Thinking about it I am sure it was the housing because if you got it wrong it was an engine out job to change it, changing the sensor is one plug and one bolt all easily accessible.

With everything plugged in he turned the key and it started and ran perfectly.
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:30pm
the engine ecu and the ecat controller do communicate with each other so there might be problems, it is unlikely to be a straight forward swop.
JayKayCee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayKayCee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:53pm
Yeah ... thought that too.
God I miss the days when if the bolts lined up you were sorted.  Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic