FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Engine cutting out. Any Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
wicko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:21pm
Was reading all of the above after my 04 plate sorento conked out under acceleration three times the other day. Took it to my local garage who ran a diagnostic and lo and behold the error code showed low fuel pressure. I advised him of the above forum so he removed the fuel pick up and examined the gauze filter as suggested. Guess what it was completely blocked with what he described as small bits of bluetac type material. He cleaned and replaced it along with a new fuel filter. It is good for now but a new fuel tank maybe in the offing or I may try a fuel tank sealer like that offered by Holden.
Sponsored Links

brian66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:20pm
I think the deposit is coming from the return pipe from the engine.
I have cleaned mine out twice but there arn'p any bits in the tank only in the sender unit
wicko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:42pm
Mine looked the same. But all that is happening is the pick up unit is constantly filtering the fuel and holding the debris in the unit. If you look closely at the tank you will see that it is sprayed with an opaque blue colour. On mine when I looked inside with a torch you could see where this coating was coming off on the raised edges of the tank where it has got pressed strengthening shapes into the surface of the metal.
brian66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:50pm
The deposit in the sender unit is coming from the return pipe from the engine as there arn'p any bits in the tank only in the sender unit
Mr Kia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Kia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:04pm
They are definately from the tank, it is very common that the tank lining peels away and blocks the gauze in the tank. Try speaking to customer services and mention the forum that loads of sorentos have this problem. And see if they will help.
Rick123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 2:34pm
Hi all, my 05 plate is in the garage now with contaminated fuel problems.
Evans Halshaw currently have a bill for over £1300 after replacing the filter, injectors and flushing out the fuel lines and tank. Just been informed that the tank lining is coming away and is in the filter. Another £558 + vat and a six week wait for the new tank to arrive.
Has any one had any luck with getting any compensation from Kia with this obviously common problem? 
UncleMart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleMart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Rick123 Rick123 wrote:

Hi all, my 05 plate is in the garage now with contaminated fuel problems.
Evans Halshaw currently have a bill for over £1300 after replacing the filter, injectors and flushing out the fuel lines and tank. Just been informed that the tank lining is coming away and is in the filter. Another £558 + vat and a six week wait for the new tank to arrive.
Has any one had any luck with getting any compensation from Kia with this obviously common problem? 
Hi Rick

If the fault was proved to be the filter being blocked then why are you being charged for injectors??
The debris from the fuel tank would be on the filter not in the injectors!!!
I dont see why you should pay for a poor diagnostics
To become old and wise first you need to be young and stupid..........
Rick123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:37am
Hi Unclemart,

The garage apparently followed guide lines after consulting with Kia. After the injectors were sent to be reconditioned, they were sent back saying that nothing could be done with them. The next thing they want to change is the fuel pump it's self.
wicko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 12:41pm
Hi Rick I have recently E-Mailed Kia re this problem and am waiting for a reply. I have also e-mailed my friend the editor of Diesel Car magazine who is investigating and taking it up with Kia. thought a bit of of media interest may help oil the wheels.
I like you could have been taken for lots of money during the investigation stage but fortunately this forum forewarned my so I went straight to the problem.  ( Thanks to all those who posted. )
Rob W
Rick123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 9:31pm
Rob,

Your a man after my own heart. Just in the process of putting a letter together to Kia to see what their response will be, also thought about bringing it to the attention of something like that watchdog programme, or even better, get Jezza Clarkson on his soap box. Lets face it, no car manufacture would like to be shot down on Top Gear.
No more money will be spent on my car, ref fuel problem. Don't know if it's down to bad diagnostics, poor knowledge by garage, or poor information from Kia.
Obviously the fuel tank coating is not fit for purpose, never mind if it's out of warranty or not.
My car is an 05 plate with less than 80,000 miles on clock, not happy with it at all. Only bought it because of the good revues for towing caravans.

Rick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic