FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Engine cutting out. Any Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>

Taff
Author
roger 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 8:43pm
high all i had same problem cleaned fuel sender unit runs fine now do not be cheated by garages i was quote between 500 and 1000 euros as i was in spain at time work took me 1 hour to do take your time and it is a easy job to do your self roger 1
Sponsored Links

Hendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:12pm
Hi, I am having same problem withmy kia Sept 2004 XS model. It has now gone back into the garage having been in once to have the diesel filter changed. Kia have told me there is a pressure problem and they have had to contact Kia about it - we are going away soon and tow a caravan so I don`t want it happening then! will let you know how I get on. Otherwise am very happy with car. Hendy
roger 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:40pm
try cleaning filter in diesel tank you have to take out sender unit under back seat not big job it cured my car and also a mate of mine good luck
Bailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:30pm
Hi Thanks everyone for your replies.
It's finally Sorted, a little costly but it's now the car I thought I'd bought. The problem was down to a worn seal on the fuel pump allowing oil to get in to it. I had that repaired and it's been fine ever since. Smile
Hendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:47pm
Hi Roger, I had taken my car back to the garage but after three days in there and still no answers they told me they wanted to check the fuel tank and that would cost me £400 so I have fetched it and am going to have a go at checking the fuel sender unit myself. They said they had followed Kia`s instructions on procedures to follow but hadn`t even looked at the sender unit - they didn`t even want to consider that but wanted to check the fuel tank due to possibility of lining peeling. Anyway, I will have a look myself and see how I get on and what happens. Wish me luck! We are away soon towing the caravan so I want to get it sorted. Hendy
roger 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:18am
good luck
Cazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:50am
Hi,

I notice you are in Newbury so local to basingstoke can you advise which Garage assisted you with the problem! KIA in Basingstoke are as much use as a choclate fire guard! I have encoutered similar problems to those descrived in this thread HOWEVER mine has only done it during the 24/48hours after towing its then fine for weeks at a time Confused

Many Thanks
Clair

paddywagon05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote paddywagon05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:42am
Clair and Members...This is prob the correct fix; ECU...HA HA..I doubt it guys

Fuel Tank Filter

There is no "filter" as such in the fuel tank but what there is is a gauze mesh over the pick up on the lift pump. Sometimes, particularly it would seem on the early Sorento models, this gets clogged with a grey coloured material which seems to appear in the tank. This can restrict the amount of fuel going to the engine and give the dreaded cut out under acceleration and in some cases a low fuel pressure code being stored and the Engine Management Light on the dash coming on. Definitely worth checking out if any of these things happen to your Sorento.

Some basic Instructions and a few pictures on how to check:

When the rear O/S seat is lifted there is a small piece of carpet which when lifted up gives you an access panel to the fuel tank. If you unscrew the 4 screws this is what you see. 8-)

[image]

If you then unclip the diesel lift and return pipes and disconnect the electrical plug, then unscrew the 6 screws and gently lift out the fuel pickup unit this is what you get. Do this when you have very little diesel in the tank and make sure to keep a towel or cloth across the carpet to protect any damage from dripping as you lift the unit out of the car :o

[image]

And then when all this is done this is what it looks like. The float which gives the fuel guage reading is the black plastic bit at the front of the cylinder. The unit can be taken apart by unfastening the plastic clips on it and the gauze filter and pipes then cleaned in a bowl of parrafin, petrol or similar. ;D

[image]

As they say in all the good Japanese guides refitting is a reversal of removal!
www.griffinmotortuning.com
www.powerbox-tuning.com
www.taffsvaleting.com
andy1971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 1:13pm
54 plate sorento same problems new filter fitted in tank £250  by kia done 2 miles cut out again returned to kia new tank required linning inside tank flakeing blocking filter again another £800 been perfect ever since common problem
Cazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 1:59pm
Gosh! I hope I can avoid a new Fuel Tank !! at least for a few months !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic