FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Engine cuts out after going up hills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
saturn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saturn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine cuts out after going up hills
    Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi, i wonder if anyone has any experience/advice on this problem. I have just bought a 58 plate sedona 2.9 ts. Drove home from London without a problem, all good. Drove up a steep hill and the engine light came on, then shortly after the engine just cut out and I coasted to a stop. Car started again just about straight away. drove off no problem. Went up the same Hill today and the same thing happened. Drives
up fine, engine light comes on, still drives fine. Going down the other side of the hill and it cuts out. I went round and did it again just to make sure and it did he same thing. Have had an 05 sedona for three years with not a single issue. Had this one 3 days! Any advice appreciated as I'm taking it into garage tomorrow and might need to give them some pointers. Many thanks.

Latest - forgot to mention it's an auto
Been on some test/investigation drives. Seems that the engine light comes on at around 3000 rpm. Went up the same Hill at 2000 rpm it was fine. Same at 2500 rpm. At 3000 the light comes on and shortly after it cuts out. Tried it on flat and same result. In neutral can rev to 3000 no problem and no light. What's going on!
Could it be cam sensor?

Edited by saturn - 30 Jan 2017 at 9:10pm
Sponsored Links

phil.s. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil.s. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:13pm
Hi, any joy as mine has the same issue!
horsfalli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsfalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:15pm
I think this may be a fuel pressure problem and may be due to crap in various parts of the fuel system. The quick fix is to use premium diesel which has better detergent.    The Shell variety appears to be one of the best and works well in mine.
leepb68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leepb68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:12am
Hi.

I've just bought an 08 plate diesel automatic. Mine cuts out for no reason (not on hills)
Yesterday I risked driving to work in it (about 25 miles) after about the 3rd time I thought I'd try it using the +/- selector to see if it still did it with me having more control of the revs and unfortunately it still did it.
When I got to work because I'd set of in plenty of time I chance to try it actually just sat still in the car park.
After about 5 mins the engine light came on and about 20 secs after that it just cut out.
I turned it off and started again and timed it and again it was about 5 mins light on then a few seconds later cut out.
Thankfully It's been playing up since I've had it and the guy I bought it off has taken to Kia to see if he can get it sorted...if not he's going to refund me.
He's a genuine guy and he says it wasn't happening before but it's so frustrating because it's a lovely thing and it suits my family perfectly.
I'd love to know how common it is and surely if it does happen regularly you'd think a Kia dealer would know exactly what it is...!!

Lee
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:53am
it is a common issue with these. the injection system is garbage.
leepb68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leepb68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:59am
To be fair the one we have is perfect, if I get refunded then is there any checks I could do before buying another.
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by leepb68 leepb68 wrote:

To be fair the one we have is perfect, if I get refunded then is there any checks I could do before buying another.

Only have test drive and find a good hill where you can put your foot down hard.
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic