FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Driveshaft / Gearbox oil seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wayne1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driveshaft / Gearbox oil seal
    Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:11pm
I have got a leak from the output shaft on the gearbox .. Drivers side . Is it possible to change the seal without having to remove all the driveshaft as the driveshaft is in 2 halves ??
2.9 crdi 2005 manual
Sponsored Links

f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
no not possible, easier to pull out the whole thing anyway.
wayne1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 7:23pm
hi foster so I have found out pulled the hub away with driveshaft attached .....
could anyone confirm that where it goes into the gearbox there are TWO seals ????????
2.9 crdi 2005 manual
wayne1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:52pm
I have been to Kia parts dept and there should only be ONE seal .... so obviously leaked and was left there by a previous owner ....
while I have got it apart I stuck my finger in where the shaft came out of to check bearing etc ..
when in there I found a spline ( which I assume connects to driveshaft ) that was moving around loose ...
anybody know if this should be like that ??????
2.9 crdi 2005 manual
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:42am
it should move a little, it is part of the sun gear,
wayne1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:02pm
great stuff thanks    ..... never done a driveshaft on a front wheel drive so best to check
2.9 crdi 2005 manual
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:49am
but as with anything how much is too much, it will run in a bush because it does not have to turn very fast in relation to the crown wheel carrier, if you replace the seal and it leaks again then it might need attention, you can compensate a little by removing the seal metal spring that sits in behind the lip and if you look carefully there is a join where it is screwed together, you can unscrew this and cut a few mm off the length then screw it back together, this puts more pressure on the seal lip.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic