FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Door Mirrors - Parked/Unparked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mr.macspot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.macspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Mirrors - Parked/Unparked
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:35am
Simple question, do you leave your door mirrors permanently in the parked (folded) or unparked position when locking the car for any lengthy period?

I ask because I've noticed if I leave mine overnight in the parked position, and it rains, when I unlock the car and the mirrors unfold, there is a fair amount of water drains out from behind the mirror. I'm thinking it can't be good for any electrics behind the mirror.

Edited by mr.macspot - 12 Oct 2017 at 9:36am
2017 Kia Sportage KX-2 (Planet Blue).
Sponsored Links

tigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:45am
I leave them folded.  Except when its winter/icy - when I leave them open.
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by tigger tigger wrote:

I leave them folded.  Except when its winter/icy - when I leave them open.

Me too - and I ensure the auto-wipers are off.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 31k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
Cornish dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cornish dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:06pm
I thought the seven years covers the door mirror motors but not someone smashing them off so it's a in out all the time for me unless I'm wrong about the motors
keat99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote keat99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
Mine are in the auto position at the moment.

However, what I find annoying is when they automatically unfold when I approach the car.

Its all well and good if I plan on getting in the car, but lets say I have the keys in my pocket and I go out to the garage to fetch something. (I have to walk past the car)

The mirrors unfold.
Then whilst i'm in the garage they'll fold back in.
When I come back to the house, the same thing happens.
When I go back to the garage to return the item, same applies, and thus goes on.
If I got the wrong item or forgot something, the whole sage starts all over again.

Cleaning the wifes car with my Sportage keys in my pocket, and the mirrors went back and forth about 20 times.

It would be better if they unfolded when the card was unlocked, rather than on approach.
2.0 GT Line, In and around Wakefield/Leeds.
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:17pm
I leave mine in auto.  I agree with keat though - I get the same aggro.  If I know I am going to be in and out more than once then I unlock the car, open and close a door and that stops it - but you have to remember that the car is now unlocked.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Cornish dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornish dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:09pm
Hi all I bet ten years ago if someone said we would be talking about mirrors going in and out we would of said no way just shows how good the cars are today when it's these little things that annoy some of us I'm with the unlock the car and open the door if I'm going to be near it for a time or leave the key in doors but I have got out and tried to lock it a couple of times befor my small brain remembers it's in the car
keat99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keat99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm
In all honesty, there was nothing wrong with them when they were chrome, on the end of stalks and 4 feet away on the nose of the wing.

Oh yes, adjustment.  Left a bit, down a bit, left a bit more, back up a bit. :-)
2.0 GT Line, In and around Wakefield/Leeds.
mr.macspot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.macspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by keat99 keat99 wrote:

In all honesty, there was nothing wrong with them when they were chrome, on the end of stalks and 4 feet away on the nose of the wing.

Oh yes, adjustment.  Left a bit, down a bit, left a bit more, back up a bit. :-)

Until the rust came bubbling up from underneath and the mirror eventually fell through the wing... Confused

And don't get me started on telescopic radio aerials! Dead

Edited by mr.macspot - 12 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
2017 Kia Sportage KX-2 (Planet Blue).
Sipwine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sipwine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
To me folding mirrors is a good indicator if the car is locked or unlocked.
2016 Sportage KX-4 Phantom Black
2010 Sportage First Edition Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic