FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Decision made KX-5 it is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
RAMRaider1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
Hi again ianv  

You are so right about what you said regarding the electrically-controlled height-adjustable passenger seat in the KX-5, because for many decades a surprising number of other car manufacturers have seemed happy enough to contemptuously treat front passengers with utter disdain in this respect, rather as though they are some kind of 'second-class citizen' ! 

Secondly, why on earth do motor manufacturers believe it acceptable practice to provide the driver's seat with an electrically adjustable lumbar support, but NOT the accompanying occupant, typically (if not always) one's spouse ? 

And whilst I'm still 'standing on my soap-box', surely it's about time that those bloated mega-buck 'luxo-barges' churned-out by the likes of Bentley, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Rolls-Royce came with a full 'no questions asked' 10-year manufacturer's warranty ? I mean to say, it's not as if these bl**dy cars don't cost enough in the first place, now is it ! 

You also 'hit the nail squarely on the head' when mentioning poorly maintained diesel-polluting cars:

Quote:

"This anti diesel nonsense should be squarely aimed at the old un-maintained vehicles e.g. buses and not the modern diesels."

End Quote:

Yet again, London's Mayor Sadiq Kahn aims his disproportionately misjudged comments at the easiest target (i.e. motorists), when he should actually be bringing pressure to bear on the global shipping industry, whether that be container vessels or cruise ships, which pump-out VASTLY greater quantities of air-polluting fumes into the atmosphere than current cleaner EU6 diesel-compliant vehicles do !

Kerosene-powered air-polluting passenger jet aircraft are also mysteriously left out of the equation, because they conveniently happen to bring billions of much-needed currency into HM Treasury's Coffers. Strange that omission, isn't it !!

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 01 Sep 2017 at 11:21pm
Sponsored Links

ianv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 9:03pm
Mmm... Do you remember doctors against diesels? Now remind me, what do ambulances run on.
2014 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX4
2010 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX3
2009 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE Titan
mobi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:15pm
Quote everything below the Kia Sportage is actually longer than it

Personally I never found length to be a problem - but often the width is more of a limiting factor for parking in tight space Big smile

Kia now has too many models. Even within Sportage the trim levels are too confusing. It is like Tesco offering 99 types of cornflakes! But now Tesco realized Lidl is doing the right thing by offering only 10 types of cornflakes - so they are killing lots of unnecessary product lines.

Kia also needs to clean up their model lines. Competitors e.g. Toyota RAV4, offers ACC, AEB in all of their trips - starting from the very basic level. I hope by next year of so Sportage will receive all these features. Don't want to move to other brands after owning 2 Kia's at a stretch. But if Kia doesn't play nice they I have no choice.

2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:03pm
Hi mobi

Length is definitely a limiting factor when attempting to park your SUV in a typically congested city centre, which being recently retired, both my wife & I have every intention of doing a great deal more of across much of central Europe and Scandinavia, during the next few years or so.

Just try squeezing an SV Autobiography into a 'tight-spot' to see precisely what I mean ! Fine if you are able to employ a full-time chauffeur, who can conveniently drop your wife off in the middle of Knightsbridge to do the odd spot of shopping, but then spend the rest of the day circling fruitlessly around Harrods in a futile attempt to locate a big enough space to deposit such a behemoth !!!!   

In fact overall dimensions were one of the key factors involved when selecting our KX-5 over larger and more expensive rivals like Skoda's impressive Kodiaq etc, but the Sportage suits us both fine and has plenty of space to spread out and relax !

Rather than currently attempting to force potential customers down a fairly restrictive path of model choice, I would prefer that Kia offer their clientele a FAR greater selection of options to choose from, so that people can precisely tailor the specification of a new vehicle and personalise it to their actual requirements !

The things that we would like to see improved on the KX-5 ? (copied from one of my previous posts).

Metal (not cheap plastic !) Paddle Shift gear lever changers need to be fitted on ALL Automatic gearboxes

Discreetly designed integrated front and rear dash-cams (optional)

4.2" Supervision Cluster should display digital speed in kph as well as mph (when travelling abroad) like the Sorento does...tut, tut !

Memory settings for both front seats & electric wing mirrors etc (for different drivers)

Front passenger seat electrically adjustable lumbar support

Bring back the old CD Player....Pritty Pleeze !

More to the point, I believe that in adopting such an approach, Hyundai / Kia would thereby generate a considerably larger profit margin and thus keep their share-holders happy ?

I also agree about adding Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) to the Sportage's arsenal of safety kit, but that will probably be incorporated whenever the new Sportage is released in future.

Interestingly, whilst I was over at our local Toyota dealership waiting to pick-up a set of new floor mats for my wife's old Corolla, I took the opportunity of strolling over to their showroom and briefly sat in the latest RAV4, only to discover disappointingly that even with the driver's seat set fully back, there was insufficient legroom for me to get really comfortable, which I was fairly surprised about, being only 6' tall !

Kind regards

Richard  

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 30 Aug 2017 at 2:37am
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:26am
Hi RAMRaider1.

With regard to your comment on a customised options list rather than set models from Kia I tended to agree, but I read recently about future road taxation and the fact every option adds CO2 output because of its weight perhaps? (eg a panoramic open/close roof?). It's interseting that Kia's own emissions data does not change by trim level, nor by wheel dimension which was the case with my previous Gen3 Sportage.

I'll search for the web page I read the article on and post a link below, apologising at the same time for my digression from the topic subject.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 36k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:35am
I'm still looking for the link on options and VED but in the meantime found this article about why many manufacturers bundle options (which is essentially Kia's trim level strategy) rather than offer singularly.
Of course it comes down to economy of scale and the bottom line whilst making it cheaper for the buyer.

2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 36k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
Pepys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

snip lots

The fact that you can purchase a full-size alloy wheel and tyre (it's not cheap) which will then fit underneath the rear floor panel, when the floor panel is raised to the highest of it's two levels, thus enabling you to store the 'space-saver' somewhere more convenient (garage etc).

Hi,

I'm looking pretty hard at a KX5 & will be towing a caravan, so I will need a full-size spare wheel & not that silly "space saver" thing.

Can someone confirm that a full size spare will fit under the floor panel (at its highest level).

Second, the (near identical) Hyundai Tucsan does come with a full-size spare (at the same trim level) so why the £%^&*( is it not even an option on the Sportage?

Buy a car with a space saver - throw away the space saver - spend even more money on a wheel and tyre.

It just seems daft that a popular towcar seems to go out of it way to avoid catering for people who tow.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:10am
Hi Pepys

I'm delighted to confirm that on our new June 2017 Sportage KX-5, by re-positioning the removable floor panel in the rear 'boot' area to the higher of it's two levels, there is indeed sufficient space to comfortably accommodate a full-sized tyre & alloy (plus loads of extra stuff besides), which despite the additional cost is eventually what we decided to do.

Imho, 'spacesavers' are more-or-less precisely the opposite of what you require - a waste of space !

You don't exactly have to be Einstein in order to figure out that the two main reasons why the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers nowadays fail to include a spare-wheel is evidently because:
  1. It saves them a considerable amount of money in the process....hooray for greedy shareholders !
  2. Omitting it's weight theoretically improves the car's official government mpg figures (joke !), but probably not in the case of the VW Group and correlated offenders...you know who you are....tut tut !
I appreciate that you might actually find this quite hard to believe, but in fact one of the SUV's we took out for a brief test-drive (prior to choosing our beautiful Sportage) had a circular 'sub-woofer' fitted in the boot-space, where (in olden days) you would normally have expected to find a spare !

Now ask yourself a simple question: what would you prefer to find in the unforeseen event of a puncture ?
  • A proper full-size spare-wheel in the boot ?
or alternatively...... 
  • A bangin' sub-woofer ?

Purely for your edification, the guilty offender in this instance was a Renault Kadjar that also featured an airy full-length panoramic sunroof, which (unlike the Kia) stupidly doesn't even open !

So let's imagine the following scenario. It's high summer somewhere down in the south of France and your Renault SUV has been parked outdoors in the sun for a couple hours whilst you've been off sight-seeing. You return to the baking hot interior of your vehicle and think: I'll just open the sunroof for a minute-or-so to release the oppressive heat......and then realise to your utter horror that - "damn it all, I can't" !

South Korea 2 - France 0 !  "Quelle surprise, non"....

Just in case you hadn't noticed, about a decade or so ago a similar disease spread to the clueless designers of wafer-thin flat-screen TV's, who inevitably had little option but to supply them with tinny loudspeakers, subsequently obliging customers to shell-out further expenditure on soundbars that quite often exceed the cost of the bl**dy television !

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 13 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
New shape 2017 Sportage KX-5 2.0L 182bhp diesel Infra-red 6-speed Auto.
Pepys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:25am
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

Hi Pepys

I'm delighted to confirm that on our new June 2017 Sportage KX-5, by re-positioning the removable floor panel in the rear 'boot' area to the higher of it's two levels, there is indeed sufficient space to comfortably accommodate a full-sized tyre & alloy (plus loads of extra stuff besides), which despite the additional cost is eventually what we decided to do.

Thanks for that.

What wheel & tyre did you buy (from Kia or other source?) and what, roughly, should I expect to have to pay? 

Sam
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:02am
Hi Sam

To the best of my knowledge, both the new alloy and the requisite tyre for the Sportage are only available to order solely via the Parts Department of your nearest/preferred Kia garage.

If I correctly recall, when I initially enquired whether or not spares were available to purchase from independent suppliers, I was informed by a member of staff to whom I spoke that Kia had in fact purchased the entire UK supply of these tyres, thereby not only guaranteeing continued stocks for their customers, but neatly cornering the entire market in the process - a clever trick to pull off !

Quite what you are supposed to do about this matter in the unanticipated event of experiencing a puncture outside the normal opening hours of your nearest Kia dealership, then I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure, so the supplied space-saver would evidently appear to be your best first option.

However, it seems fairly unlikely that the main breakdown services would carry these tyres on-board one of their vans, should you or another driver ever need to call upon their assistance !

Assuming that you're purchasing a new Sportage from a main dealer, when collecting the SUV from them, amongst all the other paperwork you should also be supplied with a credit-card-sized 'Kia Loyalty Card', which entitles you to a 10% discount on all purchased Spare Parts and Accessories, in addition to Servicing and Repairs, so I hope this info will be of some use to you ?

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 14 Sep 2017 at 2:50am
New shape 2017 Sportage KX-5 2.0L 182bhp diesel Infra-red 6-speed Auto.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic