FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Decision made KX-5 it is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:05am
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

The spurious and nonsensical argument that Kia place the Optima in a higher (perceived / price ?) bracket than the Sportage is quite frankly the biggest load of old bunkum and hogwash I've yet heard. 

As one who considered both models before eschewing the Sportage in favour of the Optima SW, what am I missing?  From memory, the most expensive Sportage at the time I was looking around was very similar in list price to the top-of-the-range Optima model.

Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
Sponsored Links

RAMRaider1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:36am
Hi Indalo

According to Kia's current UK website (which purely for peace of mind, I just checked online a few moments ago), the RRP for their Sportage KX-5 SUV officially starts at £32,525.00, plus the optional Premium Paint (metallic finish) which I selected, adding another £575.00 into the final equation, making a grand total of £33,100.00 spondulicks, although I obviously paid nowhere near that amount !

The same website: 

...states that an Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S starts at around £29,555.00but I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea what options are available for this vehicle ?

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 25 Aug 2017 at 2:55pm
ianv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi Richard,
I have a few dilemmas.
I test drove a GTLS back in May this year http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/at-last_topic36550.html
Really liked it, but, as you say the option list between models is strange.
I like the GTLS’s styling, but it lacks the features which the KX5 has.
I find the KX5 a bit bland on the exterior considering its the top of the range.
(Then again I’m sitting on the inside).
For me the cordless phone charging is pointless unless you buy a phone that can be charged this way & powered tailgate is unnecessary, for me anyway.
So GTLS or KX5?

Now! the wife is saying, ”why do you need such a large car, buy a Stonic”
(Must have been named by a KIA exec with a lisp).
I think the Sportage is just the right size.

Then there is my old KX4, 48K Miles & never missed a beat, nothing wrong with it at all, so do I really need to spend all that money on a GTLS or KX5… Agrrr

Also the son is coming back on leave with his family & guess who’s car they will use…. Defer new car until October me thinks.
Hey toolpusher, what made you choose the KX5?
2014 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX4
2010 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX3
2009 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE Titan
Habu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm
The KX-5 is my first diesel and, yes, it's torquey but I would have preferred the petrol auto GTLS for its sportier look (although I now have under trays on my 5).  For me the deciding factor with the 5 was having cooled seats, electric handbrake, electric tailgate, BSM and RCTA.  The GTLS was so very close but just missed out on stuff I needed.

Peter
toolpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ianv ianv wrote:

H

Hey toolpusher, what made you choose the KX5?

Three main things I expect always  fancy the top of the range with cars so that when people discuss everything I know what they are on about. Used to have Audi's but soon came to understand I could never ever ever afford top of the range there. With Kia sporty I can just about do so. So that's the first totally absurd reason 

Second reason I want the auto tailgate which my wife needs as she struggles to shut the tailgate and just fires all the shopping into the back seats. So that is a good practical reason.

GTLS versus KX-5  I am 60 + and not very sporty so thought I would look better in a KX-5 which I expect is even more of an absurd reason then the first reason SmileSmile

Edited by toolpusher - 25 Aug 2017 at 9:06pm
2017 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX-5
Previous
2014 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-4 auto
2011 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-3 auto

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:48pm

Hi again ianv

Ah, decisions, decisions....

Having studied Kia's UK online website in a little more depth, I observed a number of niggling things, the worst of which is that the GT-Line, GT-Line Edition and GT-Line S versions are all blighted by those dreadful-looking LED 'Ice-Cube' Front Fog Lights, which my wife & I took an instant dislike to when we first encountered them in the showroom, but of course as the Yanks 'across the pond' are fond of saying, "ymmv".

As for your 'significant other half' (who must obviously be obeyed at all times, without further question) saying "why do you need such a large car, buy a Stonic"

For an appropriate reply, check out the web link below:

http://www.automobiledimension.com/compact-suv.php

I have compiled (especially for the benefit of yourself & your wife) a comparative table of compact SUV lengths, because everything below the Kia Sportage is actually longer than it is:

COMPACT SUV                     LENGTH

Kia Sportage                               4.480 mm

Volkswagen Tiguan                  4.486 mm

Ford Kuga                                 4.524 mm

Mazda CX-5                                4.450 mm

Land-Rover Discovery Sport    4.599 mm

Honda CR-V                             4.605 mm

Toyota RAV4                            4.605 mm

Jeep Cherokee                           4.623 mm

Peugeot 5008                            4.641 mm

Mercedes-Benz GLC SUV       4.656 mm

Audi Q5                                    4.663 mm

BMW X4                                  4.671 mm

Renault Koleos                         4.673 mm

Volvo XC60                              4.688 mm

Hyundai Santa Fe                     4.690 mm

Nissan X-Trail                          4.690 mm

Mitsubishi Outlander                4.695 mm

Skoda Kodiaq                           4.697 mm

BMW X3                                  4.708 mm

"I rest my case, M'Lud." I'd get thee down to thy nearest Kia dealership sharpish.....it look's like it's pretty much game, set and match, as far as I can see !!

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 27 Aug 2017 at 2:34am
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S starts at around £29,555.00but I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea what options are available for this vehicle ?

The Optima SW GT-Line  S list price when I bought mine Nov 16 was over 31K but at that time, there were no options and only 3 colours.  If it is now even cheaper, I can even less see the argument  you make.

You have referenced the price but my question was, 'What am I missing?'  I quite like the Sportage range but the estate car remains the best kept secret in motoring.  I don't buy fashion as depicted in glossy ads and I avoid the kind of cars that ladies' hairdressers and nail technicians drive.  Most particularly, I don't buy white since it took over from silver as the must-have colour.

If I wanted to buy something that looks like an off-road capable vehicle with lots of ground clearance,  it would need to have AWD and would be capable of actually doing more off road than crossing a grassy field. Kia/Hyundai don't make anything like that yet.

Edited by Indalo - 26 Aug 2017 at 4:37pm
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:04am
Hi Indalo

Like toolpusher, I'm also in my mid 60's, but have honestly never cared a fig about projecting any type of idealised 'image' that might possibly be reflected in the sort of vehicle(s) that I drive. Cigar-smoking Jaguar owners, anyone ? Neither has fashion held the slightest appeal to me in any way whatsoever, which is why I always shape my own opinion about things and don't rely entirely upon the views of others before coming to a final decision.

The primary reason we initially began investigating SUV's in the first place was two-fold: a) simply because as we begin to get older, they offer far easier access to a vehicle's interior than many low-slung saloons do nowadays and b) they also provide a much higher vantage-point from which to appreciate one's surroundings, when travelling through beautiful scenery or countryside etc.

We have never previously owned a diesel-powered conveyance (nor a white coloured car, for that matter), but being fully retired were able to spend sufficient time fully evaluating and test-driving at least a dozen different makes of SUV, before settling on our beautiful Kia Sportage KX-5.

We kept an open mind when evaluating SUV's from established prestige marques such as Audi, BMW, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo (to name but a few), but although we happen to be in the extremely fortunate financial position of affording to purchase a 'top-of-the-range' SV Autobiography should we so desire, the steep depreciation involved in this matter is just not practical, unless you particularly enjoy annually setting fire to a £40,000.00 bundle of pound notes !!!

We can safely say from personal experience that our extraordinarily refined 2.0 L Kia diesel automatic is the equal of any of it's supposedly superior *competitors and in our considered opinion rides smoother and handles way better than any of them. The fact that it also undercuts these *rivals price-wise by a significant margin is surely the final 'icing-on-the-cake', if not abetted by the reassuring 7-year warranty.

The sheer idiocy that Land Rover are shortly releasing on an unsuspecting public in the shape of their svelte new Range Rover Velar, complete with it's twin-screen touch-operated central console via two control dials is imho simply a serious RTA waiting to happen.

All it will take is for a driver to momentarily divert their attention sufficiently long enough from concentrating on the road ahead in a vain attempt to stab at an on-screen icon to adjust the ventilation (for example) and they will either find themselves ploughing into adjacent motorists or smashing into the central reservation barrier at high speed with predictable consequences !

The clearly laid-out raft of horizontal buttons on the Sportage's dashboard are one of it's saving graces and I have already memorised which switches control what, more-or-less purely by feel. The tactile on/off volume knob and the opposite rotary 'magnify' dial for the pin-sharp 8.0" screen of the Satellite Navigation screen 'beat the living daylights' out of touch-screen versions found elsewhere on different manufacturer's SUV's and consequently leave no tell-tale trail of greasy finger-prints dotted everywhere.

I have no problem at all with estate cars, because my older brother has run Volvo versions for longer than he would care to remember, so 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

In all likelihood I may never 'go seriously off-road' in the foreseeable future, but it's reassuring to know that 'should the going ever get tough' during the wintertime, that the 'locking differential' will keep you moving when rear-wheeled vehicles are slithering all over the place, trying to gain traction.

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 27 Aug 2017 at 2:48am
ianv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
Hi toolpusher,
Good point, I'd never thought about the the auto closing, it is useful for people who are challenged height wise.
As for looking good in a KX5.. ...Me ... ..I'm in my 60's also, feel good yes, look good nah

Hi Richard,
I've always thought the Sportage has just the right proportions. There is a guy at work who parks in the space next to me with either a BMW 3 estate or a Q7 both of which have their @rses hanging out & the later he struggles getting out of the door - stupid size for our parking spaces.
And for the people that bleat about their diamond cut wheels, this Q7 that probably cost a squillion quid, all its wheels are corroded. These wheels are high maintenance, a smear of ACF50 now & then has worked on my last 2 Sportages.
ianv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Habu Habu wrote:

The KX-5 is my first diesel and, yes, it's torquey but I would have preferred the petrol auto GTLS for its sportier look (although I now have under trays on my 5).  For me the deciding factor with the 5 was having cooled seats, electric handbrake, electric tailgate, BSM and RCTA.  The GTLS was so very close but just missed out on stuff I needed.

Peter

Hi Peter,
I think you will enjoy the driveabilty that the diesel has over the petrol and economy.
This anti diesel nonsense should be squarely aimed at the old unmaintained vehicles e.g. buses and not the modern diesels.

The GTLS I drove was very very nice, but I would have thought it should have come with BSM, RCTA and the Automous Braking System (I believe this lowers your insurance premium I think?).
I thought it also had ventilated seats, but having relooked at the spec I may be wrong.
One thing that the wife did like was the height adjustable passenger seat - she has always said her seat was to low.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic