FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Decision made KX-5 it is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
toolpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decision made KX-5 it is
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Ok I have spent last two weeks trawling through this 2016+ forum glad to see there’s no real major problems being noted. No real issues with the seats which was the biggest issue on previous gen--mine are fine on present sporty with no splits but won’t say they are that comfortable during long drives. Any update on this comfort wise?? Next big issue of previous gen was the wheel rims suffering corrosion I had mine changed once under warranty no problem. Then major complaints about the Kia Sat Nav (although it never put a foot wrong with me) I am sure the change to Tom Tom must be major improvement. Therefore, got appointment with dealer Monday morning to order the KX-5 with tow bar and should behind the wheel mid Sept with a bit of luck.
2017 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX-5
Previous
2014 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-4 auto
2011 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-3 auto

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)
Sponsored Links

Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by toolpusher toolpusher wrote:

Then major complaints about the Kia Sat Nav (although it never put a foot wrong with me) I am sure the change to Tom Tom must be major improvement.  

Hi 'toolpusher'.

Unless I'm not up to speed with the latest equipment levels, I think you may be disappointed to learn that the Kia navigation system isn't a Tom Tom system but only augmented by Tom Tom live services.

That said, the basic system is reasonable and I prefer it to the Apple Maps nav system which is integral to the Apple Carplay addition.  Certainly, the voice control seems to work better with the Kia nav system in my car than it does with Apple Maps.

If I'm behind the times on this topic, no doubt someone will be quick to point it out.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the car when it arrives.

Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:09pm
Thanks for the update Indalo to be honest where I live there is only one main road for the first 120 miles south and at my age I know every bend better than any Sat Nav on that road. Need it big time in the cities off course being a yokel but never really know if its me or the satnav when it goes wrong haha. Joking aside present sat nav seems quite reliable
Previous

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)
Habu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm
I think the seats are good. After driving 250 miles each way recently I suffered no issues. The additional length to the seat base helps as it supports the thighs better.

Sat nav wise, it's the best system I used.   Clear and quick. I like the head up way points in the top right hand corner of the screen plus, when combined with the nav directions in the centre TFT screen, is excellent.
DougieB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:55am
I suffer from severe lower back problems and the only two cars I've had better than my Sportage was a Jaguar XJ and a Rover 75.

Sportage 2.0 CRDi KX3 auto (sunroof) in Dark Gun Metallic
mr.macspot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.macspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 9:47am
Hi toolpusher, I've had my 2017 Sportage KX-2 for just over five weeks and haven't really done any long mileage with it as yet. Although the seats on my car are not the posh leather ones, I've found them firm but comfortable. 
As to the sat nav, frankly I'm not impressed. To me there is a lack of detail in the maps, especially when driving a route, the map does not zoom as close as I am used to. There are other things I don't like, no lane guidance, no advance warning of changes in direction. And although my phone is happily tethering I am yet to see any traffic or speed camera warnings. Oh and on top of all that I can put the name of the street I live in, but according to the sat nav the house number does not exist.
It all sound like a big whinge, but it really isn't. I wasn't fussed whether I had an in built sat nav or not, I was more interested in the Dab radio and iPod abilities. I will be sticking with my TomTom for directions.
And I love the car.
2017 Kia Sportage KX-2 (Planet Blue).
RAMRaider1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAMRaider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:54am

Hi toolpusher

Back in 2008, my wife and I fulfilled a life-long ambition and embarked upon an unforgettable 4½ month 'around-the-world-trip', but one of the rental cars we had on our travels in Australia was a Toyota Camry that had especially deep-set front bucket seats and eventually caused me to unintentionally strain a muscle or tendon directly behind my shoulder blade, causing excruciating pain.

To avoid a re-occurence of this problem, we swapped our rental car booking for an SUV instead, which offered us vastly easier access, plus the additional benefit of an elevated vantage point.

We have some really lovely friends who are 'just managing' financially, but sadly a couple of weeks ago their 'old banger' unexpectedly went 'pop' and ultimately it became uneconomic to repair, so we gifted them our reliable hatchback and thus began a search for some sort of SUV for ourselves.

With plenty of free time, I undertook a significant amount of in-depth research over the previous couple of months, using either the internet (whose youtube videos proved invaluable - 'a picture's worth a thousand words' etc) or reading up-to-date magazine reviews etc.

We followed up this process by 'test-driving' about a dozen makes of SUV at a selection of nearby showrooms and although some of the ones we tried featured only current versions, others boasted brand new releases this summer, such as the 2017 Mazda CX-5 and 2017 Volvo XC60.

After weighing up the pro's and con's of each one (taking into account the total price), we decided it was an absolute 'no-brainer' to opt for a new 2017 KX-5 Sportage, which we collected from our local dealership nearly three weeks ago.

Thus far we are thrilled with virtually every aspect of our Kia (with the sole exception of being unable to switch the central digital display readout from mph to kph - see separate post), but one of the undoubted highlights of owning the KX-5 model is it's delightful light grey interior with matching roof lining and comfortable two-tone leather upholstery, finished off with a gorgeous airy panoramic sunroof (which actually opens, as opposed to some other rival competitors that unbelievably don't - I believe that both the 2017 Honda CR-V & 2017 Renault Kadjar are the two main culprits in this respect)....go figure ?

If we have one overall criticism that we'd aim at the entire range of Sportage SUV's on sale in the U.K., it would have to be the extremely narrow & restrictive choice of body colours available (a miserly 6 !). My wife & I honestly cannot fathom why Kia feel the necessity of offering up TWO varieties of White ('Arctic' or 'Fusion') to customers, as opposed to a wider choice of hues ? What about a nice metallic light blue exterior with contrasting cream interior ? Is anybody at Kia's South Korean HQ listening, please ?

I find the 'Bronze Metal' deeply unpleasant, but 'ymmv' (Google it !). The 'Dark Gun Metal' is way too sombre for our liking & the Phantom Black bodywork shows up every tiny speck of dirt. Neither am I fan of black interiors, which I detest at the best of times, as they have an unavoidable tendency to feel pretty claustrophobic. When stifling hot summer weather arrives, black paint absorbs heat like a massive solar panel and in due course creates a highly unpleasant interior environment (née: furnace) when returning to a car which has been parked outside in continuous sunshine for any length of time.

Hence the only option actually left for us to choose was the metallic 'infra-red', but I still find it genuinely quite galling to discover a far wider palette of attractive colours available to customers overseas in places as far afield as the U.S.A., Canada or continental Europe etc.

Interestingly, had we not happened to view the lighter interior of the KX-5 on show in our nearest dealer's showroom, there is every possibility that we may not even have bothered taking the Sportage out for a test-drive, which would not only have been a complete travesty but almost criminal.

It also seems an awful shame that some of the latest safety technological advances, such as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Blind Spot Detection (BSD) are unavailable on models farther down the range (i.e: Sportage 1, 2 / KX-2, & 3 / KX-3).

As far as the Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) is concerned, if you can't keep your vehicle on the 'straight and narrow' between a set of white lines, without drifting perilously across the carriageway (sans the intervention of an on-board computerised gizmo), then quite frankly you not only pose a grave danger to yourself, but become a serious menace to other road users on the public highway and should quit driving with immediate effect !

Kind regards

Richard

Edited by RAMRaider1 - 20 Aug 2017 at 2:54am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:57am
Ramraider what an eloquent post and it’s all for me thank you.  Ordered KX-5 in Dark Gun Metal with tow bar should have it on the 7th Sep.  Smile. Not much chance of overheating where I live
Previous

bar1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bar1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

Interestingly, had we not happened to view the lighter interior of the KX-5 on show in our nearest dealer's showroom, there is every possibility that we may not even have bothere

I agree. Not impressed with the dark interior of a KX4(?) I sat in, I nearly walked away. The light grey colour leather of the First Edition was a game changer.

Edited by bar1957 - 10 Aug 2017 at 9:01am
2016 First Edition in Phantom Black
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:32am
I had a Gen3 "Black Edition" which had a two tone interior. The centre panel of the seats was a light grey suede type material and the door cards had the same colour accenting. Very nice to look at but when you sat on the seats it mattered not what colour they were and the door card accenting did break that area's sea of black, but not to the point I'd need a future two tone light/dark interior again, especially as a forward looking driver   

The sliding panoramic roof is nice I agree, although if it were a costed £800-£1000 option as so many other makers offer I would not specify it, but as a bundled part of Kia's trim levels it works for me.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 31k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic