FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Dash Cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Beebe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Cam
    Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
Sorry is this is a duplicate post but I went back 7 pages and the search is erroring...

Has any Niro owner here fitted a front facing Dash Cam? If so can you recommend any. I am slo curious as to how you wired it in, have you been able to make it switch with ignition? 

Any advice is appreciated :) 
Kia Niro 2 with ADAP
Sponsored Links

Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 5:55pm
Fitted one to mine (albeit a Ceed)

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/front-rear-dash-cams-fitted-today_topic35604.html

Easy to wire to ignition (in any car)
plug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:35pm
I have fitted a Roadhawk HD camera, that I transferred from my previous car a Honda Civic MK9

The kit comes with a couple of camera fittings that adhere to the inside of the windscreen (make sure you put it in the correct place, as the fitting is extremely difficult to remove once it is stuck). My camera is located at the top of the windscreen behind the passengers sun visor (my wife has the sun visor down all the time,  so you don't see the camera when you are driving) The camera has a very long detachable power cable with a cigarette lighter plug at one end. It also has an optional aerial  with a long cable that also attaches to the camera. I have found on both the Niro and the Civic that it was not required.
You can push the cable into the roof lining at the top edge of the windscreen passenger side, round the rear view mirror, into the roof lining on the drivers side. The push the cable into the side of the windscreen on the drivers side (it stays in place) down the side of the dash and under the rubber door seal until you are at the drivers seat. Run it under the seat and under the bottom trim of the central console then run plug up and into  the right hand power outlet in the central console (coil any excess cable under the seat) The power socket is activated by the ignition, so the camera switches on and of with the car A small piece of duct tape covers the cable where it comes from the door seal to under the seat and from the central console to the plug.

The only problem I have is the the car is a First Edition, and I can't get the correct colour of grey duct tape I think 1, 2 and 3 trim is black, so it won't be a problem on them
If you want I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow

TerryB58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryB58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:32pm
I have a DDPai M6 Plus camera.

Wired to the centre console, I use a battery discharge protection device wired to a switched live fuse and a permanent live fuse and earth.

All wiring hidden along roof lining and down the passenger side of the windscreen.

The camera is neat but I have turned off the wireless connection as when my phone connects it can then not connect to the internet for traffic and POI updates Unhappy no biggie though

CodeMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CodeMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:03am
Hardwired Thinkware F770 fitted near the centre of the windscreen on the driver's side with wiring hidden, wired to an ignition switched space in the fuse box. 
I had this included as part of my purchase deal with my local dealership, although I oversaw the exact fitting location as the camera has no built in viewing screen but instead relies on a smartphone app for viewing and recording retrieval (with the camera left in situ).

Technically the fitting location may be a breach of the requirement not to overlap the wiper area, however there were no other suitable fitting points for a camera that met my requirements, and given the number of people I see daily with a satnav stuck to the windscreen directly in front of them I can't see it being an issue day to day. 

Pictures etc. can be located on my posts on a dashcam forum here
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
Hi Folks, I have a Next Base 512G dashcam  which I suspect requires to be hard wired as it will not switch on automatically via the centre console power supply on my Niro 2.

I might be able to do this myself but as not to infringe the warranty I contacted my local Kia dealer where I bought the vehicle and was informed this would take two hours and cost £130.

Once I had picked myself off the floor I declined their offer, any thoughts from our members here most welcome.

CodeMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CodeMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Kiora Kiora wrote:

Hi Folks, I have a Next Base 512G dashcam  which I suspect requires to be hard wired as it will not switch on automatically via the centre console power supply on my Niro 2.

I might be able to do this myself but as not to infringe the warranty I contacted my local Kia dealer where I bought the vehicle and was informed this would take two hours and cost £130.

Once I had picked myself off the floor I declined their offer, any thoughts from our members here most welcome.

It sounds like they just didn't want to do the job tbh.
Using a piggyback fuse or spare ignition powered fuse slot and routing the wiring through the trim shouldn't take more than a careful hour IMHO.
My local (professional) audio / alarm fitter would charge about an hour's labour at £60.

Kia Customer Service have answered questions about warranty and hard wiring dashcams before - here. The implication is if the fitter is careful about the electric side of things all should be well.

I had mine fitted as part of the sale mostly because I'm time-poor and a little clumsy due to old injuries and arthritis in my hands.
Mickg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
I have a mio mive 698 front camera with a second camera that views out the rear window . Realy good comes with additional features like lane warning , front collision warning , headlight reminder , Speed cameras will be more ive forgotten
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:15pm
Thanks for your reply CodeMonkey, like you I have a bit of the arthritis in my hands so can end up being a wee bit clumsy. Will think a bit more re diy. Thank for the  KCS link.

cheers.
Recycleman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recycleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Kiora Kiora wrote:

I have the 412G which auto starts up using the centre console on my Niro 2, you might want to check the fuse in the plug as per the manual :

The cigarette power cable is not working. Inspect the fuse in the

Car Power plug. Replacement fuse = 2A 32mm type. If the fuse is

found to be blown, inspect the power cable for damage which may

have caused the fuse blow

Niro 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic