FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

DAB Radio Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Judgetug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judgetug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAB Radio Upgrade
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:53am
I have a Cee,d 3 Sportwagon (2015)and would like to upgrade the radio to DAB.

I currently use a Pure Highway to access DAB but this is not always reliable. Does anyone know if Kia have an upgrade that can be fitted and if so what the cost of it is?
Sponsored Links

dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:12am
Have you asked your dealer? He should know.....
Cee'd 2 Sportwagon 2013
Judgetug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judgetug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 12:11pm
Thanks for the reply. No I haven't as yet but will have to. I just wanted to get an idea if it is doable and an indication of cost before approaching a dealership.
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Judgetug Judgetug wrote:

I have a Cee,d 3 Sportwagon (2015)and would like to upgrade the radio to DAB.

I currently use a Pure Highway to access DAB but this is not always reliable. Does anyone know if Kia have an upgrade that can be fitted and if so what the cost of it is?

Pure are usually very good. Your antenna is probably rubbish.

Kia do an add on (media dab) dab unit. It hidesaway under the dash and displays into the nav screen. Has to be controlled using steering wheel buttons ONLY though which can be a bit fiddly. It's ok. I have it. Cost about £200 ish. Supplied antenna is totally rubbish - reception is only ok in high strength areas. I went for new roof antenna instead, more ££££

If you want full dab integration you'll need a new head unit. £££££££+!

Edited by Sheets - 06 Dec 2017 at 7:26pm
Judgetug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judgetug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:24pm
Sheets,

Thanks for the info. I agree the Pure is very good but it is now quite old and also works off of the screen stick on antenna, hence I guess the often patchy reception.

I have thought about upgrading the Pure Kit but that would still mean a separate unit and associated antenna and wiring which is what I want to get rid off too.

I will pay a visit to my dealer and bite the bullet and upgrade the car radio.

Regards.
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:15pm
New Head unit will be thousands!

The kia dab add on is reasonable value but will need a different antenna IMHO. The supplied one will be very similar to what you have already and is poor at best. The internal/stick on types aren't the best. I went for a proper roof mount and replaced the kia roof antenna with a dab/fm version.

This is similar (if not the same!) as kia will supply. https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autodab-ctdab-ki2-2-kia-ceed-sorento-soul-sportage-oem-digital-car-radio-dab-adaptor.html
Gazza1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:50pm
Have a look on here they sell everything dab.
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/index.html
I bought this package and fitted it to my wife's Citroen and we've had no issues
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digitizor_DAB_DAB_plus_DMB-A_car_radio.html
(Kinetic digitizor DAB, DAB+, DMB-A car radio + Kinetic DRA-6001 & 5m DAB/FM/AM cables)

Edited by Gazza1970 - 06 Dec 2017 at 10:51pm
Judgetug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judgetug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:51am
Thanks Gazza,

Others have recommended this option too. Did you find it necessary to fit a DAB aerial to the car or was the one provided OK? I think the issue with the Pure option is the aerial as signal is often poor.

Regards.
Judgetug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judgetug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:59am
Thanks Sheets, most helpful info, I now have several options that have been recommended and I note your comment about the need to change the car aerial.

Regards.
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:02am
Kinetic thingy looks reasonable value. However, I just know I couldn't be doing with having that seperate remote for controlling the radio. Too distracting for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic