FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

coolant overflow blown head gasket 2.2CRDi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
davo8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coolant overflow blown head gasket 2.2CRDi
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:08pm
Last year our 2.2 CRDi with approx 130 000ks started overfilling the coolant overflow reservoir and not back draining on engine cool. Pressure test turned up negative. Changed radiator cap and seemed to go away but it has been stress free local driving. 
Recently (now around 140 000ks) after hitching up the camper and hitting the hills it started again. At no stage was overheating indicated, engine runs fine, and if i stopped approx. every 100 ks and transferred coolant back into radiator (don't you hate the taste of coolant - especially warm!) no apparent coolant loss, but of course air space inside radiator which was still under pressure when cooled.
Only online thread i have found is a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with pretty much the same motor and symptoms before a blown head gasket was found between a couple of pots. His was repaired under warranty in 2014. Mine is booked in for further investigation but i'm bracing myself for a large bill! OuchCry
I will keep you posted on how this pans out.
Sponsored Links

Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:20pm
It is possible to test the coolant for exhaust contamination.  If you suspect the head gasket, then also look at the oil for water contamination.

Sooner you get it fixed the less it will cost.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
davo8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:58am
Yep. Thanks for that. Oil fine. Sniff test apparently is not always reliable. The other problem is that the coolant in the expansion tank is holding it's level now that i'm home and the vehicle is being tested.
davo8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:15pm
Checked yesterday by local Kia service centre. Passed pressure test and combustion gas test. Replaced coolant and took for an extended test run. Of course did not play up during this. Have ordered a new genuine Kia radiator cap as a 'maybe' measure.
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:19pm
Well at least you have ruled out the expensive possibilities.  Some cars vent excess pressure from the rad cap and some vent from the reservoir cap.  Whichever you have there will be a small flexible pipe for the run-off.  Quick test :  Locate the open end of that pipe and tie a plastic bag to it so if it is venting you will see coolant in the bag.  The pressure caps are cheap anyway so I would inspect them both to see if there is any sign of the seal failing or weeping.
davo8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:32pm
Yep. If only it was that easy Turnup! I am not convinced. I will wait and see if the genuine rad cap makes a difference. The current non gen cap is rated at 1.1 bar which i believe is spec; and looks in perfect condition as does the radiator opening seat. 
The coolant is visibly evident ( and can be smelt) exiting an overflow tube on the expansion tank if I do not transfer coolant back to the radiator once it fills.
I also came across some info saying a dodgy water pump could also cause cavitation (air bubbles) in a pressurised system.
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 3:12pm
So the cap on the expansion tank is the pressure relief valve too and that is the one which I would change.  Cavitation in water pump sounds implausible to me and anyway cannot "make" air - cavitation is water vapour which will re-condense as soon as the (local) pressure returns to normal.
davo8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 6:02am
OK. Thanks. Expansion tank is not pressurized in my Kia Turnup. Simple sealed cap. Overflow tube exits at the top of the bottle.

noublue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noublue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:30am
how about cracked cylinder head ?  crack opens when the engine gets hot,  pressurises the coolant system. then closes up as engine cools down.
sportage '1'   1.6GDi
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:25am
Trying to get my head around this. 
Expansion tank runs at atmospheric pressure because the overflow pipe is open.....somewhere there is a pressure relief valve which allows expansion into the tank, but the displaced water is not returning to the cooling system as the water contracts again, drawing in air from somewhere.  So perhaps wherever the expansion pressure relief valve is it also should allow reverse flow during cooling (or via a separate one way valve) but (however that works) it is not functioning. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic