FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Considering a 13/14 1.25 vr7 economy question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Trueblue1878 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trueblue1878 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering a 13/14 1.25 vr7 economy question?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:18pm
Hi, my partner needs a new car asap as her 53 plate 207 diesel will shortly die!

She's drawn to the Rio, for a number of reasons, including the length of the warranty and potential economy.

I'm starting to get the impression though that the mpg on the 1.25 and 1.4 petrol falls massively short of the claimed figures? .... So what's the reality please?

She's only going to be doing about 8k per year, and mainly town driving, but if 30 mpg is the reality that's terrible!

Any thoughts gratefully received !,
Sponsored Links

johnsav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:27pm
All mpg claims are on the optimistic side, not the shock there.
My 1.1 diesel Rio got me between 60 and 70 mpg quite easily.
Buying second hand you might get a great deal on a diesel if what you want is great economy. They do a 1.4 as well.
ste372 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ste372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:53pm
My missus had a 1.25 petrol got 400 miles out of a tank of fuel. Was gutless unless driven hard which affected economy.

At 8k a year mileage I would be steering clear of a diesel really as you'll more than likely run into dpf problems
TonyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:56pm
Hi Martin, I had a Rio 3 1.4 petrol, 13 plate, from new, selling it this August. I really enjoyed driving the car, however, on short journeys of around 6 or 7 miles, I rarely achieved more than the low 30s mpg. On longer motorway journeys the fuel consumption was a little better, but I never achieved anything like the advertised fuel consumption, although I didn't expect to. A look at Honest John real MPG will give you a good idea of real life data. I'm now driving a Peugeot 2008 1.6 diesel, on a 24 month lease, and I'm saving almost £80 per month on fuel. I used to fill up weekly and now it's a new tankful every 17 or 18 days The Rio is a nice car, and I'm really missing the heated seats, but if your main consideration is mpg, get a diesel. Although short journeys are likely to cause problems with the DPF.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trueblue1878 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:03pm
Yes, I'm aware of potential dpf problems, my golf GTD regen's relatively regularly and I've done about 27k in it since getting it new in March 15. My partner does a lot of short journeys and I'd envisage dpf problems fairly quickly. Her old 207 is a pre-DPF diesel

Thanks for the input, I guess if she could get 40mpg she'd be happy, she's Not what you'd call a spirited driver !!!

Edited by Trueblue1878 - 18 Nov 2016 at 11:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trueblue1878 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:06pm
I'm wondering if the 1.4 diesels would be better if we swapped cars a couple of days a week so I could effectively regen the dpf for her on my commute?

Also, it's a 307 she drives, think I said 207 before!

Edited by Trueblue1878 - 18 Nov 2016 at 11:08pm
IanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:42am
I've had a 1.25 petrol since January and my trip computer MPG average is currently 49.1 that's mainly journeys of under 10 miles with a motorway return trip of 80 miles or so around once a week.

It's a VVT engine so it does need revs if you want performance. You'll notice the lack of low rev grunt if you're moving from a diesel but I've never felt it's 'gutless'. In fact my reaction after I first test drove it was that it's hard to believe it's only a 1.2.
Rio 2 1.25
NorfolKia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorfolKia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:31am
The readout on my car has been sitting at 45.8 mpg for several months. That is for mostly short journeys of less than 5 miles. I found the computer was optimistic by around 3-4 mpg when I kept a record of mileage and fuel used, though.

Ron
2014 Rio 1.25 VR7 3-door Midnight Black metallic
ste372 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ste372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 11:07am
We only had ours for around 12 months. We got a full refund as the clutch failed twice in 10k missus Lost all confidence in the car. I think we were getting around 45mpg and her commute was 90% motorway. It may have loosed up as the engine ran in.

She now has my 1.1crdi which has been run for 4yrs/55k miles. Regularly get 600 miles to a tank (recently improved again with use of a tuning box)

I did however notice when she was on 6 month maternity leave. She was doing low miles (less than 100 a week) the car really suffered. Low mpg, oil level increased due to failed regens, needed me taking it to work 1 day a week for a good 60 mile run.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trueblue1878 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:21pm
Thank you for all the input, she is a fairly economical, slow driver. I think if she could get close to 40 MPG from shorter journeys from the 1.25 she would be happy.

I think diesel could be more trouble than it's worth though for her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic