FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
lincolnpete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincolnpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
Sorry you have experienced such an expensive failure of your KX3. I believe that a dual mass flywheel clutch is not suitable for towing, having experienced this myself with other manufactures VW being one.

The dreaded smell of burning clutch when reversing with caravan is never pleasant & I found quite stressful as you know it is not doing the clutch any good!!!

I have spoken with owners of other makes (Volvo, BMW) with DMF & all have experienced the burning clutch.

I hope you soon get sorted with your situation, as for buying another car with DMF all I would say is see if you can test drive with a caravan in tow. Or look at a automatic as it seems they cope better with towing.
Lincoln Pete
2017 Sorento KX3 Auto
Sponsored Links

Oldnightrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldnightrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 6:08am
I will not name the dealeras I use this dealer regularly, but suffice say that a registered dealer, when I mentioned that I was thinking of buy a later model to replace my 2004 Sorento crdi, was told NOT to buy anything later than 2009 as I would be buying trouble. This was said to me some two years ago.
gmpriley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmpriley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:31am
Hello
I have noted your problem in 2017
Last week just several months out of 7 year warranty and several weeks after yearly service my Kia Sorento 2.2 CC-R lost all return hydraulic power to the clutch pedal I managed to stop safely after a harrowing experience and called out the AA , he confirmed slave cylinder was leaking and had basically exploded out all the hydraulic fluid , this was concerning as the fluid is supplied from the main braking system hydraulic reservoir, so could have also lost braking capability.
Did not want to take back suv to KIA main agent due to loss of confidence on several other recent disrepair issues so took to garage where all my other cars are serviced etc
Upon dismantling they confirmed problem with DMF , was oscillating possibly due to design problem and had smashed my slave cylinder , my mechanic confirmed Kia stated DMF on back order till August due to technical problems.
Sourced my own DMF for £1.1k will have to have new clutch so will be looking at a hefty bill I am also a solicitor so would be interested to know how you got on with your case as I am not happy about Kia’s apparent knowledge of the defective DMF and would have thought they would have done a recall similar to the numerous recalls I have had for my Jeep
GTOldie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTOldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:10am
I hope Kia have now sorted out DMFs as my new 4 cylinder, 2 litre turbo petrol Stinger has a 'centrifugal pendulum absorber' torque converter! Unhappy 

Tim
'18 Stinger 2L GT-Line S Ceramic Grey and red
'14 Red Pro_Cee'd base GT
Mickg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by gmpriley gmpriley wrote:

Hello
I have noted your problem in 2017
Last week just several months out of 7 year warranty and several weeks after yearly service my Kia Sorento 2.2 CC-R lost all return hydraulic power to the clutch pedal I managed to stop safely after a harrowing experience and called out the AA , he confirmed slave cylinder was leaking and had basically exploded out all the hydraulic fluid , this was concerning as the fluid is supplied from the main braking system hydraulic reservoir, so could have also lost braking capability.
Did not want to take back suv to KIA main agent due to loss of confidence on several other recent disrepair issues so took to garage where all my other cars are serviced etc
Upon dismantling they confirmed problem with DMF , was oscillating possibly due to design problem and had smashed my slave cylinder , my mechanic confirmed Kia stated DMF on back order till August due to technical problems.
Sourced my own DMF for £1.1k will have to have new clutch so will be looking at a hefty bill I am also a solicitor so would be interested to know how you got on with your case as I am not happy about Kia’s apparent knowledge of the defective DMF and would have thought they would have done a recall similar to the numerous recalls I have had for my Jeep
can't say 100% in your car but the master cylinders are designed in a way that a leak from the clutch won't drain the master cylinder leaving you without brakes it's either drawn higher up from the brake line or there is a separator in the cylinder to separate the two feeds . Not detracting from your experience but may ease that concern. All the best that they come good for you
althebin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote althebin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:09am
Dual mass flywheel problem not specific to new range sorento .I have a 2008 xe which just died on m6 over last bank holiday with “ crank position sensor “problems To cut a long and expensive story short new sensor did not cure prob so today we have taken engine out and found dual mass flywheel has disintegrated smashed the crank position sensor out of the bell housing, cracked the bell housing and damaged the clutch. So the car is effectively a write off. Clutch and flywheel were fitted less than a year ago and only 7 thousand miles ago. Think I’ll go back to a Ssangyong had 4 of those and never had any clutch probs.
artscot79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artscot79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:30am
Take notes kcs another dodgy clutch burning out far too early on another Kia model when will Kia finally admit to this being an issue and agree to replace failed clutches that are worn prematurely

Oh wait no answer I wonder why??? Could it be they were designed this way as a means of making money???

A clutch should at minimum last 60k anything under that is not fair wear and tear its abnormal.wear and tear
althebin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote althebin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:01pm
Further update on dual mass flywheel issue spoke to LUK tech dept today I am 67 been driving since 13( tractors)passed driving test 50 years ago last month,so I now find it rather insulting to be told by luk it’s my fault the dmf has failed after 10 months and less than10000 miles.I was also told any warranty claim lies with my supplier ,not them , that I have to buy a new dmf from the same supplier and in a months time they may consider sending me some money back.So if you want back up AVOID LUK PRODUCTS at all costs because warranty and back up don’t exist here.If you look on the net there are LUK products advertised with 1 ,2,5 year warranties and one advert said lifetime guarantee DONT BELIEVE IT .I love my sorento but afraid it’s got to go.OH p.s if you have towed with a Luk clutch they will crawl out of any claim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic