FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Centre armrest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wexfordboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wexfordboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centre armrest
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 4:43pm
Purchased a new Soul Maxx 2 months ago. Very pleased with this car apart from the centre armrest.
It is too far back for my left elbow to reach the steering wheel.
I have looked on line for some kind of forward extension, but can't find any suitable. Any other members have the same problem?
Sponsored Links

rizmo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 5:04pm
Always regarded centre armrests as for the passenger, or when sitting in car, with engine off. I prefer to position seat/steering wheel so that hands on wheel with arms from wrist to elbow fairly level, which is above most armrests.
Fleet: Kia Venga 3 1.6 auto, Subaru XV 2.0 SE Premium Lineartronic, Hyundai i40 Estate, Ford Transit Connect van, Talbot 10 (1938)
Technomage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technomage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 12:26am
Well, my Kia Soul came with NO armrest at all, and what I saw for sale, for upward of $250, all fell way short of what I wanted.  So being somewhat of a handy guy, I built my own.
It solves the problem of being long enough to rest my right elbow on while still hanging onto the steering wheel.  And I made it wide enough so my passenger(s) can use it to...and they do, and they love it!

I also made an armrest pad for the driver's side door.  So now I can drive down the road with both hands on the wheel and both elbows on nice padded surfaces.  I'm now much safer and more relaxed while driving.
I also recommend the Seat Belt Buckle extender.  It makes buckling up a snap, for the more rotund driver. Wink

My center arm rest:

My left arm rest:

I used scrap materials that I had on hand, so the cost for both arm rests was $zero.

Good Luck,
TechnoMage :cool:

Edited by Technomage - 21 Aug 2016 at 12:29am
A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.
2013 Soul, Base, 1.6L, Petrol, AT, White
Troute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 2:56pm
The seatbelt extender looks like it would cure my only issue with the centre console, that it makes getting the belt into the socket very difficult.
I keep getting this nagging feeling I was supposed to be doing something with my life.
Troute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 2:59pm
Just ordered one in fact, thanks for the idea Technomage :D
I keep getting this nagging feeling I was supposed to be doing something with my life.
Acenta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:45pm
You need to make sure that safety critical items like seat belt modifications have been properly tested and are approved by the manufacturer. You don't want to find out that its just a cheap piece of tat as you fire through the windscreen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic