FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Buying Sorento 2017 - Gasoline or Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
night.fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote night.fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying Sorento 2017 - Gasoline or Diesel
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:53am
Hi all,

Planning to buy a bigger car and since I had good experience with Kia, I'll go for sorento.

The thing is, I'm contemplating between gasoline vs diesel.

Gasoline has

240 hp @ 6,000 rpm ; torque 36 kg·m / 1450~3500rpm

Diesel

202 hp @ 3,800 rpm ; torque 45 kg·m / 1750~2750rpm

kindly advise which one I get

thanks
Sorento 2017 - Snow White Pearl

Sportage R 2012 Limited CRDi 2.0 - traded
Sponsored Links

SeñorSorento View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeñorSorento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:43pm
Only the 2.2diesel and no petrol is available in the UK and only two petrols and no diesels in the USA, so there are not many countries that experience both to be able to compare.  I would go for petrol over the diesel as although the diesel goes well enough, it is very noisy and not at all economical. It also seems that the latest bait-and-switch scam by the globalists is to demonise and penalise diesel.

Edited by SeñorSorento - 21 Apr 2017 at 2:44pm
night.fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote night.fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:53pm
Aha. I didnt know that there is no petrol in UK. I know that there is no diesel in USA hence the reason why I asked here.

The thing is, I have the 2.0 version on my sportage now. Its loud but not really loud. I guess I was not so bothered at all.

But petrol is more quiet and more powerful but its eating alot of gas. But like you said, seems like the world is trying to kill diesel. In korea now, they added more tax to diesel cars for cleaning air. But looking at specs, petrol is emitting more CO2 than diesel.

so I dont know for sure. And for petrol now, they have a recall on some T-GDI engines and those models are 4 years ago!

grumpy_o_g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy_o_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:16am
Having moved from an 8 year old Santa Fe (theoretically the same engine as the Sorento but I supect the oil filler cap is about the only thing that still the same) I can't believe how quiet the engine is now.  I think it's mostly down to some very good soundproofing and engine isolation rather than the engine itself being quieter but I rarely hear the engine over the road noise unless under hard acceleration - even then it's only really above 3,000 it starts getting noticeable.  There's an effortless and almost silent mid-range woosh of over-taking torque that Rolls-Royce would have loved twenty years ago.  Get out the car and stand beside the engine at tickover though and you'll start looking for the taxi or tractor that sounds like it's right next you.

I'd go for the diesel over the turbo-four every time except for two things (as mentioned already) - one is the cost of diesel in your country and the other is the possibility of taxes or legislation being introduced against diesel.  In the UK diesel is being demonised because of the particulate emissions - they are right but it's the older diesels they need to focus on, not the Euro 6 ones being sold now.   We are likely to see quite a few cities in the UK banning diesels in the near future and our Politicians (who seem to be better at not being caught than yours, but that's about all) won't miss the opportunity to slap more duty on diesel using emissions as an excuse.

If you could get the bigger V6 petrol engine and it was affordable then that would be the default choice but the US write-ups suggest that the turbo-four petrol isn't especially smooth so the diesel may well be the better choice for you.
SK_Sorento_17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK_Sorento_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by night.fox night.fox wrote:

Hi all,

Planning to buy a bigger car and since I had good experience with Kia, I'll go for sorento.

The thing is, I'm contemplating between gasoline vs diesel.

Gasoline has

240 hp @ 6,000 rpm ; torque 36 kg·m / 1450~3500rpm

Diesel

202 hp @ 3,800 rpm ; torque 45 kg·m / 1750~2750rpm

kindly advise which one I get

thanks
You might want to check in an Australian forum.

They seem to have the 3.3L petrol and the diesel.
Best regards
ME
night.fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote night.fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:40pm
Ordered Diesel today. it will be ready in 1-2 weeks :)

grumpy_o_g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy_o_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 10:11pm
Congratulations.  I was very happy to start with but I'm growing to like the car more every day.

But you can't just say "diesel ordered" and a leave it at that!!  What colour, what spec, what colour interior trim?  These things matter to us Smile
night.fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote night.fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:56am
Aha ha ha lol. I was gonna wait for the car and just post pics.

I ordered white (snow white pearl) - nobless special package.

Here in korea, packages option are crdi 2.0, crdi 2.2 and T-GDi 2.0.

Trim options are: prestige, nobless and nobless special.
Prestige is the base, highest is the nobless special.

I only opted for FWD as I dont really go off roading plus not so much snow in our place. And also, snow white pearl AWD 2.2 is not in production so I could wait for 2 to 4 months.

I opted for jbl speakers + UVO services including the all around view.

I also opted for drive wise package which include all the safety things (smart cruise control, emergency brake, lane dep warning, parking assist blah blah)

Interior options here in korea for sorento are only black or dark brown. I opted for dark brown as it looks really "luxurious" :)

Oh I also opted for the sunroof because im so happy with sunroof of my current sportage.

The best is, dealer knows somebody who do buy and sell and Ive got a good deal on my current car, plus, only once we got the sorento, then same day the "buy and sell" guy can take my old car :)

I like my sportage but trunk is not sufficient for us now. Baby is growing up plus my current car is already close to 6 years and close to 100,000km hence need a new one before 100k mark on ODO.

Ill post some pics once I got it.

YoungRobbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungRobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:37am
Interesting, you don't get options in the UK.  You get trim levels, so KX1 through to KX4, which pretty much dictates what options you get.  Add to that, it's 2.2 AWD only.
night.fox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote night.fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:37am
I do believe that every country has different rules or options.

But hate it though that v6 engine does not offered here in korea. If v6 is available, i would opt for that.

I wanted AWD but its not available if months as not alot of koreans doesnt opt for awd. I was surprised as well that they do offer 2.0 crdi in which is the same engine as on my sporty.

My wife wanted to get 2.0 but heck only 500 dollara difference why would i not get a bigger engine? Plus my current sporty now is 2.0 sorento is bigger and heavier so i know 2.0 is enough but you know there is a saying men always want a bigger engine lol.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic