FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Buying Engine Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:05pm
They are talking out of the distal end of their digestive tract.
Whilst it doesn't have to be Shell oil, your car requires 5W 30 oil to ACEA C3 or C2 specification. It's the C3/2 bit that is important as it is this specification that makes the oil compatible with cars that are equipped with a DPF (low saps oil.)

EDIT: Here's a link to Kia's oil specification chart clearly showing which type of oil your car requires: http://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/Oil-Grades-and-Capacities.pdf

Edited by Gary0679 - 13 Feb 2018 at 9:42am
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Sponsored Links

mranon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mranon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:48pm
I did my own interim change, and book says Castrol 5w30 c2/c3 etc. under bonnet is a shell sticker on slam panel. incidentally I used the shell helix ultra c2/c3 5w30 fully synthetic low saps. its done 4k on that and just been in to dealer for a major service. they filled it with 5w30 on the invoice, but doesn't state brand. id be asking questions why 5w40 is being used. on another point, last year I took my wife's c3 Picasso to main dealer. that's on the same oil as the venga, as I bought enough to do both as I need a tad over 5l and the c3 doesn't. on receipt of invoice, they had used mobil 1 ow30 when all previous invoices point out its been filled with 5w30. citroen used the ow30 as they said it improved cold start lubrication,and improved fuel consumption too, as engine warmed up quicker. its due a service next month, and I will use the 0w30 again as it seems to be sweeter on these cold starts, and fuel consumption has increased a tad.
Railman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:48pm
Thanks Gary for your link to Kia oils chart...

Yes you are correct  my car diesel engine needs a 'low saps' oil due to a DPF fitted and spec of ACEA C2 or C3 (5w-30)

Im still waiting for a reply from Kia UK HQ, but I decided to explore oils myself today....
As Kia has done a deal with Total oils for our  Kia cars, It appears "Total Quartz MC3 5w-30 low saps and 
ACEA C3 -12 Rating" would be perfect for me as its also recommended by Hyundai and Kia

Why the local dealer changed to 5w-40 which is acea A3/B4 and not suitable for diesels with DPF is beyond my logical thinking, and will ,I am sure will be detrimental to the DPF over time. I will phone Kia dealer tomorrow to see what is going on with their service dept?
2014 Kia CeeD 2 Sportswagon 1.6 crdi
Railman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:50am
Well, my quest for information is becoming clearer now.
It appears my dealer's invoice stated 5w-40 Engine oil? so after a further call to the dealer, it was a clerical typing error and actual oil fitted was a 5w-30 ACEA C3 manufactured by Total Lubricants.

Further identified as "Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30" to standard ACEA C3, API SN/CF.
This is a Low Saps oil recommended by Hyundai / Kia motors for use in Diesel engines fitted to a DPF.

At least I can relax a bit now knowing my Kia Warranty will be safe 

Edited by Railman - 14 Feb 2018 at 10:53am
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
Good to hear! Just make sure you get that confirmed in writing by the dealership in case of any future warranty claim that could be attributed to the engine oil Thumbs Up
Railman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:35pm
Good to hear Gary, yes but the reply from Kia UK HQ received today was not good to hear......

Sorry, they cannot answer any technical questions on the matter. If unhappy with the comments from my local Kia dealership, they suggest I approach another Kia dealer service dept and talk to one of their technicians who will be happy to help.

Pathetic and inadequate. As much use as a chocolate fire guard !! It is comforting to have found this informative Kia owners Forum to make sense of this Korean Secrecy !!!

Phil
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:22pm
Just goes to show why you need the oil type used during your car's service confirming in writing.
If Kia suspect the wrong oil has been used they'll bounce any future warranty claim that they can attribute to the wrong oil spec being used. Leaving you to fight it out with the dealer who made the mistake.
aircraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:11pm
I believe the dealers (from any manufacturer) buy the oil in bulk & price.
So depending on what they have, that's what goes in your engine.

How does the customer know whether it's 0-30 or 5-30, low saps, etc, without taking a sample and getting it tested.
That's why it's worth travelling a bit further to get a better service.

KiaConvert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiaConvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 9:42pm
I believe it’s dealers doing deals with oil as my dealer changed from Shell and now promotes and uses Mobil1. When I said I’d supply my own they emphasised it had to be Mobil!
2017 Sorento KX3 auto
Was in Kent now Somerset
Railman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:46pm
my Kia dealer commented, they were instructed by "Kia-UK" to change from shell oil to Total oil products about one year ago. I found out on google that Kia entered into a contract to change their lubricants from shell to Total for 5-years......world-wide !! 

I have used either shell Hilux or Mobil 1 oils in my cars for years when I specify in an oil change at an independent garage. I don't know anything about Total oil quality for my car but, Total are using their involvement in the world of using Total oil in a racing car engine. so this must make it automatically good for my mere 2014 Kia Ceed Sportswagon 1.6 CRDi engine? or is it better, that is the question?

Car dealers seem to have the power to hold a gun to customers heads dictating which oil will be fitted or the warranty is void !! It's so frustrating for the car owners and what they read specified in the owner's manuals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic