FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Buying Engine Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:47pm
Yes there is loads of choice (of brands) but there is only one spec. You already know that, and it's in your handbook.
I cannot see the problem at all.
Sponsored Links

Lancelot1937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancelot1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Samdog Samdog wrote:

Originally posted by Lancelot1937 Lancelot1937 wrote:

An easy answer to "Which oil?"   Go to a fuel supplier site such as Shell (which I favour) B.P Esso etc.
With most of them you can put in your Reg. No. and there will be a list of lube oils for engine, gearbox etc.

Try this   https://tinyurl.com/y86vftug

Ok i see your point i did as you suggested and i got this result

So i am not any wiser which one i need to select 
Venga 1.6 petrol Auto Type 3. March 2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancelot1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:10pm
So you don't even know which car you own?
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Sheets Sheets wrote:

Does your car have a handbook?

Its written in there. Or you could look at a pdf copy online if you don't have your paper manual to hand.

5w30 AECA C2/C3 spec. ANY motor factor will have it. It's nothing special.

I'm not shocked they didn't have it in litre bottles at your dealer. They can't compete on price with people like ECP etc so they don't bother.
One thing I have noticed about ECP (Euro Car Parts,) and it's only recently. When you pop your registration number in to find correct parts. They are now only showing selected items, i.e. the most expensive ones - even when they have cheaper suitable products in stock!
For example, Shell themselves recommend Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5w30 (C3) oil for my Cee'd. A manual search on ECP's website reveals that 5 litre bottles are currently in stock for £38.59.
 If I use the registration number search and narrow it down to display only Shell oils, the website brings up just 2 options... 5 litre Shell Helix Ultra 0w30 ECT (C2/C3) for £72.99 and 5 litre Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 ECT (C3) for £64.99. Very naughty in my humble opinion! Disapprove
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Acenta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Samdog Samdog wrote:

[QUOTE=Lancelot1937]

So i am not any wiser which one i need to select 

As far as I am aware every diesel car sold in the EU from 01 January 2011 had to be fitted with a DPF. There is no grey area, no DPF and the car could not be registered.

So the provider of the site that you used is proven to be a total idiot offering oil for a non-DPF Kia (or any brand for that matter) from 2012 onwards, there are none.

Using oil that is intended for a non DPF engine will not damage the actual engine but it will rapidly clog up the DPF leading to an expensive bill for replacement. Oil for DPF equipped cars is "low SAPS" and falls into the C1, C2 or C3 cetegory, the handbook will tell you which along with the other specs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancelot1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:50am
It's the Shell oil site and probably covers cars throughout the world not just this country and the E.U.
OldJohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:09am
If you text your reg number to 87103 (this is on the side of oil bottles) they will send you a text straight back.

Mine said - Kia(EU) Sportage 1.6 GDi. 
We recommend 5W-40 for this vehicle.
easy-peasy!
2016 Sportage Axis Edition
dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 3:08pm
I certainly didn't know that, very useful information, thanks
Cee'd 2 Sportwagon 2013
Acenta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by OldJohn OldJohn wrote:

If you text your reg number to 87103 (this is on the side of oil bottles) they will send you a text straight back.

Mine said - Kia(EU) Sportage 1.6 GDi. 
We recommend 5W-40 for this vehicle.
easy-peasy!

Being advised to use 5w-40 is simply inadequate. There are many different ACEA (and alternative) specs of 5w-40 oil and only specific ones will be recommended by the manufacturer. Use the wrong one and your car could easily be damaged. This is especially important with DPF equipped diesels.

According to the official Kia oil spec site the correct oil is 5w-30 or 5w-40 (maybe dependent on climate) to either ACEA A3 or A5. The last bit is just as important as the viscosity.
Railman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:29pm
My 2014 Kia Ceed 2  sportswagon 1.6 crdi came out of service at the Kia dealer with new engine oil which was changed from shell Helux Ultra 5w-30 to... Total 9000 Quartz fully syn acea A3/B4 API SN/CF 5w-40

I asked dealer why the change? comment was Kia only fill engines with Total brand oil now not shell.

On closer inspection, my manual say 5w-30 and this Total 5w-40 oil should not be used in a diesel with dpf fitted???

Im confused and emailed Kia UK for a reply....will update when available

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic