FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Brace yourselves! New Diesel taxes are coming...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brace yourselves! New Diesel taxes are coming...
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:58pm
Brace Yourselves X is Coming Meme | BRACE YOURSELVES TAX TIME IS COMING | image tagged in memes,brace yourselves x is coming | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/diesel-drivers-face-budget-tax-hike/
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Sponsored Links

bowfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:09pm

Kia are doing their own anti-diesel tactics with us, by making our 2017 diesel Sportage no better on fuel than the bloody petrol version....Cry

I'm hoping they go for increased VED, as our car is leased and the VED is not our problem.
If they go for an increase on fuel.....I'll be extra annoyed....

Edited by bowfer - 14 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm
Telegraph were suggesting a selective increase in diesel fuel duty.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:41pm
It should be an increase in vat/purchase tax on new cars.
Doesn't seem fair to hammer existing owners who bought diesels in good faith after the government told us diesels were good!
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Sheets Sheets wrote:

It should be an increase in vat/purchase tax on new cars.
Doesn't seem fair to hammer existing owners who bought diesels in good faith after the government told us diesels were good!
Since when did any government do fair?!
 My gut feeling is they'll increase the VED rates, but the cynic in me thinks that they have demonized Diesel so much and so vocally they'll think they can get away with increasing both VED and duty... 

Edited by Gary0679 - 14 Nov 2017 at 3:55pm
bowfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:05pm
They will try every avenue, that's for sure.
Electric car sales are shooting up, they must be feeling the decreased revenue in the treasury already.
Although they can't really tax electricity on electric cars, it's surely only a matter of time until they stop being free from VED as well.

Edited by bowfer - 14 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by bowfer bowfer wrote:

They will try every avenue, that's for sure.
Electric car sales are shooting up, they must be feeling the decreased revenue in the treasury already.
Although they can't really tax electricity on electric cars, it's surely only a matter of time until they stop being free from VED as well.
 Hell hath no fury like a government deprived of tax revenue Wink
bowfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Gary0679 Gary0679 wrote:

It's funny the discussions people have with me, now that I'm an electric vehicle owner.
I don't mind ignorance, I'm happy to answer questions, it's the weird hatred I can't fathom.
It's like they think I'm doing them out of money or something.
I've even had one person tell me the government absolutely will (and should...) start taxing electric cars charged at home.
When I asked how, they were stumped.
It's on exactly the same supply and meter as everything else, how on earth would they tax me more on car electricity only?
Now, it's entirely feasible future electric car charger installations will be forced to be on a separate meter with a different rate of VAT...but not just now.

Edited by bowfer - 14 Nov 2017 at 4:29pm
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:45pm
I can think of some ways to selectively tax Electric cars.

Sales tax.

VED.

VED sliding scale on mileage.

Require use of a charger with integral meter.

Tax on trust declaration of mileage and retrospective verification of miles driven (say annual inspection of vehicle).  

ANPR verification of road use.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by bowfer bowfer wrote:

Originally posted by Gary0679 Gary0679 wrote:

It's funny the discussions people have with me, now that I'm an electric vehicle owner.
I don't mind ignorance, I'm happy to answer questions, it's the weird hatred I can't fathom.
It's like they think I'm doing them out of money or something.
I've even had one person tell me the government absolutely will (and should...) start taxing electric cars charged at home.
When I asked how, they were stumped.
It's on exactly the same supply and meter as everything else, how on earth would they tax me more on car electricity only?
Now, it's entirely feasible future electric car charger installations will be forced to be on a separate meter with a different rate of VAT...but not just now.
Totally agree! For the majority of drivers who don't do hundreds of miles daily, I believe that now is the ideal time to own an electric car purely and simply because of the lack of things such as separate metering... They'll only tighten things up in the future. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic