FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Belt pulley is it going to cost alot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt pulley is it going to cost alot?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 8:12pm
I'm not sure if its the belt or the pulley, The sound isn't always constant sometimes its loud sometimes you can just hear it other times no sound at all, the sound is like a rattling sound not a squeak, the rattle can just be for 5 minutes or get worse when i put the aircon on.

If it was the pulley would it be a costly job? 

I found a video on youtube when you start of the video up to 9 seconds that is the sound i'm hearing.

Edited by jem - 09 Feb 2018 at 8:43pm
Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDI LS 2007
Sponsored Links

RichardB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:21pm
I have a 2009 2 ltr crdi with 80,000 miles on the clock. It developed the same sort of sound as you are describing and mine turned out to be the air con compressor. Very easy to check by putting a socket bar in the tension pulley and removing the belt. Once removed you can spin all the bearing pulleys and I could hear and fill lots of play in the compressor pulley. Once I had removed compressor the you could see the overheating bearing. I changed the compressor for £245 and had it re gassed for £40. Hope this helps.

Worth checking as on my Mitsubishi evo the bearing jammed and had a minor fire due to the belt catch fire.
jem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 9:50pm
I only saw this post in the morning just before i took the car to the garage i thought Cry

Thanks for your post but looks like i was lucky as it was just the idler pulley so not much money at all at the same time i had a new belt put on, as it was showing signs of wear.

What does this pulley actually do?
Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDI LS 2007
RichardB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:47pm
Glad you managed to find the fault, on mine it does alternator, water pump and a/c unit. pulleys are there to change direction as the belt wears on inside as well as the outside if that makes sense. If your was like mine the belt is really shiny when worn but looks totally different once replaced.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic