FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Battery drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carsoliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carsoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery drain
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:27pm
Hi had my 2007 KIA for just over 1 year I've got problem with battery drain 3 garages & myself cannot find problem, there's .5ma current running through negative battery lead after car has been left to stand, the problem happens more if short 4 mile journey with a stop half way, 2 days later flat battery.
Garage have tried new alternator but still no start they are like me baffled by this problem I'm fed up using booster to start car not good on rainy days LOL.
If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful I'm willing to try anything.

Sponsored Links

Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
Are you sure it's .5 mA?  That's very small, half of one thousandth of an amp - it would take 2000 hours to drain 1 AH from your battery and your battery has (should have) a capacity of at least 40 AH.  This will not drain a battery in days.  It's probably the alarm system and/or remote central locking sensor anyway.

Removing fuses while monitoring battery draw will quickly narrow it down, but I don't think this is the problem.

Presume the battery has been tested?

Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carsoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:19pm
Hi Thanks for your thoughts, the .5ma was a figure garage told me maybe I've got that wrong he's got a very strong Welsh accent, I'll maybe get him to look at your suggestions he's totally mystified by it all.
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
Take it somewhere else.........
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:10pm
more like 5a drain rather than 5ma. the standard current draw from a locked parked vehicle is anywhere up to 100ma, if you have current draw it is easy to find, just keep removing fuses until the test meter shows it to be gone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carsoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:30am
Hi thanks for your thoughts fOster the trouble is there's very little current draw showing, but battery still goes flat in 2 -3 days, it's second new battery that's been tried on the car & tests fine, I wish I still had my Mk 2 Cortina much easier to service etc
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by carsoliver carsoliver wrote:

Hi thanks for your thoughts fOster the trouble is there's very little current draw showing, but battery still goes flat in 2 -3 days, it's second new battery that's been tried on the car & tests fine, I wish I still had my Mk 2 Cortina much easier to service etc

If we accept these two statements as correct then there are only two possibilities I can see:

1) the battery was nearly flat in the first place (charging problem)

2) the battery is faulty.

I can think of no other way to make both of these statements true.  A sound and properly charged battery cannot go flat in a couple of days with even 100mA steady drain.

So.....

a)  Are they true?  Is your man measuring the current properly?  Can he measure the current drawn by (say) the sidelights and does this give an appropriate reading? 

Or....

b) there is a current draw which occurs under circumstances other than the test scenario. 
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:09pm
just to be clear, you need a multi meter with amp measurement on it. you need the car to be locked as per normal but with the bonnet up (access to the battery) if the car has a bonnet switch you need to disable it. loosen the pos battery terminal, clip one lead of the meter to the pos terminal lead securely, the other lead hold it vertical on to the pos battery post, then slowly lift the battery terminal so that it slides up surrounding the test lead and so breaking the connection with the battery terminal, the ammeter will now show "all" current being drawn from the battery, you must be careful not to break the electrical connection between vehicle and battery, the ammeter will keep the electrical connection as long as you are careful.
Tafflondon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tafflondon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:07pm
It could be an (intermittent?) short in the wires running into the tailgate or doors

I had weird electrical things happening with a Mercedes estate a few years ago and totally failed to find out why so I took it to an auto electrician. After six hours testing he found it by chance when he opened the tail gate to look at the rear lights and his test equipment, connected under the dash board, went off.  The wires from the car body into the tailgate flex and rub together every time you open and close it and some had worn though the insulation causing occasional current leakage.
2006 Carens 2.0 CRDi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic