FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Alternator Change DIY & pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ratboiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ratboiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Change DIY & pictures
    Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:59am
Well the alternator has finally given up the ghost after 254k miles so can't complain.
Symptoms were battery light came on and I was a long way from home, it was raining and I needed just about every electrical item in the car.  AA checked the car and confirmed it was the alternator and wanted to relay me, but I chanced it and got home 2 hours later in daylight with minimal electrical kit running in the car. So if it happens to you and you have a good battery don't panic.

OK first thing to do is find the alternator on the car see (Kia3 pic) and check what amp size yours is they come in 90 amps or 120 amps you can see the label on the unit.  I checked around and finally called up The starter motor & alternator company ltd, 01752-339871 who asked a few questions and sent the unit that day and it arrived the following morning, cost was £170 with £30 back when you return the old unit.
I timed myself and it took 45 mins to complete and is easy if you have a socket set and spanners open and ring, and a small thin cable tie, and a good lead light which is essential.

1) Disconnect the battery
2) Find the alternator (Kia3)
3) Have a good look at the belts (Kia 4 and 5) picture them if need be, as the runs look complicated to me, in Kia5 my finger is pointing right at the tensioner bolt head.  You will need a ring spanner (no room for a socket ) to go onto the tensioner and an open ender set up as shown in Kia6, having found the right spanners tape the two together (I didn't and ended up fishing in the undertray for the one that dropped). Now fit these onto the tensioner bolt (Kia7) and push it towards the windscreen you will see the belt slack off around the alternator, it takes quite push as the spring is strong, we are only checking here that you have the right bolt, so release it back to the original position and leave the spanner in position for later.
3) Unplug the alternator (squeeze both sides of the plug and gently pull it off and tuck it out of the way.
4) Disconnect a heavy power cable which is under a rubber boot close to the plug you have just pulled off, using socket and extension bar, once you have done this the cable is attached to the alternator via a cable tie, cut the tie, free the cable, and tuck it out of the way.
5) The alternator is held in position by only 2 bolts one at the top the other at the bottom, undo the bottom bolt first and remove, then undo and remove the top one it's easier that way, (no nuts will fall off).
6) The alternator is now being held in position by the belt, so with one hand supporting the alternator close to the belt, take hold of the spanner set up on the tensioner and pull or push them towards the windscreen, and get the belt off, the alternator should now come away and can be drawn out the top.
7) With the alternator off check the belt for condition (mine was new and perfect) and replace if required.
8) With the old unit on the bench remove the cable holder that you cut and fit to the new alternator, it is in a housing and easy to remove then fit a small cable tie on it ready for when you reinstall the unit, you can see the cable tie in Kia8 ready to use.
9) Refitting the new unit is a reverse of taking it out, I did find that on reconnecting the heavy power cable the recess for the cable to sit into did not line up so built up the terminal using washers no big deal.
This was the way I changed the alternator and hope it helps others.

Kia1

Kia2

Kia3

Kia4

Kia5

Kia6

Kia7

Kia8

Edited by ratboiler - 11 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic