FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

6 months trouble free then 1st Breakdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Turnup Turnup wrote:

Originally posted by Signman Signman wrote:

Phil - with regard to the can-bus reference is this repercussions from all those LED bulb upgrades? Probably a silly question but I'm such a technophobe and freeze like a rabbit in a (non LED) headlight   

Not a silly question at all.  The possible issue with LEDs is as follows:

Modern cars must have detectors to warn of the failure of an external bulb.  They do this by monitoring the current flowing through each bulb.  LED bulbs draw much less current, which can trigger the detector to report that the bulb has failed.  The detector signals this to the dash (and possibly elsewhere) via CANBUS.  (CANBUS is just a data bus to allow many more connections between switches, equipments, and warning devices than would be practical if each signal has it's own wire).  The result is a warning somewhere in the car, usually on the dash.  This is often misnamed a CANBUS error - it is no error, the bus is doing exactly what it was designed to do.  By fitting an LED with a much lower current draw, you have fooled the car into thinking that the bulb is blown.  In the case of turn signal bulbs, the flasher unit will cause hyperflashing because it is designed to do so when a turn signal bulb has failed.  In both cases the remedy is to ensure that the LEDs draw sufficient current to allow the car to believe that the bulb is working - this is usually by the addition of a resistor to increase the current drawn by the LED.  Shame really because it wastes some of the power you were hoping to save by fitting LEDs in the first place.  If the manufacturers fitted bulb failure detectors with a much lower current threshold none of this would be a problem.

Thanks for that Turnup - Kia must have the ability to lower the threshold as you suggest because my 4 trim has LED cabin lighting, LED rear lights and the door mirror indicator strips mixed with conventional bulbs for front & rear indicators, the fog lamps and Xenon headlamps - unless they run a different can-bus system for the LED bulbs I have?

For those like Phil who have upgraded the cabin lights to LED, they really make the cabin appear cleaner/more inviting with the 'whiter'/brighter light over the dimmer/yellowish light of the standard bulbs. I like my rear LED lights as, along with the rear connecting chrome strip, they really lift the visual appearance of the car.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 36k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
Sponsored Links

Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:20pm
I have upgraded pretty much all of the lighting to LED and I completely agree about the cleaner look for the interior lighting.  I have no doubt that the bulb failure detectors are set differently for those lamps which are LED by design, and I think it is probable that there is no failure detector on the interior lights since these are not mandatory equipment. 
As for turn signals, still undecided - I believe there are brightness limits and I am pretty sure that the standard P21 bulbs are at or about the limit, so brighter LED turn signals are probably not road legal, and probably quite dazzling for other drivers on a wet night.  I am not even sure I like the sudden on/off characteristic of LED turn signals.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Rogpic3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogpic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:07pm
Hi Phil, if you remember this is so similar to the fault I had last November with my ceed gt. slight difference was the car was just cutting out. The fault could not be replicated and nothing ever came up on history. After nearly 3 weeks of taking the car out on test and over 200 miles later with their diagnostic device plugged in did they find that it was a BCM fault. There were loose wires and dirty connections. I got them to print out the fault codes for reference as it took me a long time to trust the car again. What surprises me in these days of such wonderful technology is that the fault codes are not coming up on the history of the vehicle when they plug the diagnostics in. Hope they sort it for you soon, cheers Roger.
Proceed gt facelift
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:56pm
Hi Roger,

Yes I remember the fault you had with your GT, It seems strange in this day and age like you say KIA have NO history that they can look at on the fault, you would think it would be logged somewhere, otherwise what is the point of having a diagnostic port if it cannot diagnose the faultConfused

I too hope they sort this out soon - I do not like the weedy astra they have given me as a hire car. I miss my carCry

Phil
2016 Sportage GT-Line 1.6 T-GDI DCT AWD Dark Gun Metal Metallic   
OLD Car - 2013 Kia Pro-Cee'd GT TECH Black (now Written Off)
Rogpic3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogpic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:47am
With mine the dealer even took the fuel tank out to change the low pressure pump and there was talk of replacing the high pressure but Kia said no. They insisted the fault was in the wiring and they were proved right. Even when they had the fault codes it was difficult to find the cause. They spent a long time checking every bit of the wiring loom until finding the problem. I was considering asking for a replacement car it got so frustrating. Cheers Roger
Proceed gt facelift
bar1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bar1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:05am
My previous experience with computer diagnostics is not a happy one. My previous car, a BMW had fault codes. The dealer put in one part. No difference. So tried another part. No better. I did wonder what a rear wheel sensor had to do with an auto gearbox fault, but the computer said it was.....
Eventually fixed in spite of computer diagnostics, not with the help of!!
2016 First Edition in Phantom Black
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:30pm
I put a full tank of petrol in my Sporty last year and after a mile or so once the diesel in the fuel pump & lines had been used I started to get a lot of noise and jumpy performance.....all without a single warning light!! LOL
Just as well I immediately stopped (safely) and checked my receipt to confirm I had mis-fuelled. A call to the AA and after time and money (a lot of money!!) I continue to enjoy the car with no warning lights apparent (thank goodness).
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 36k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:01pm
Just had a call from KIA, It appears the Car has them really confused, they cannot replicate the faults and they have just asked my consent for them to drive the car so that it will hopefully display the problems out on the road allowing them to pinpoint the intermittent fault and the specific set of circumstances that cause it.

They said that these things are the hardest to diagnose, cars nowadays are basically computers on wheels. Looks like I will have the Astra for a little while longer......

Regards

Phil
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:46pm
Well, Got a call from KIA this Morning, They cannot get the car to replicate the initial fault, they have been driving the car for a week and it's behaved perfectly - So KIA have cancelled the car hire and have asked that I pick up the car and take it home because they cannot replicate the fault.

I got to the garage and went to get my car, was not at all happy - all my things from the centre consul were all over the front and rear seats and the floor, there were dirty papers in the footwells that they put on the floor screwed up in the passenger side, the centre arm rest was black with dirt and there were greasy fingerprints every where inside and out on the windows, piano black surfaces inside and on the door panels etc.

Went back in and got the service manager out who apologised quite a bit then promptly took the car round the back to valet the car, the car came back spotless 20 min later. This is the 1st time I have had a problem with the dealer. All this was noted down and recorded so hopefully it won't happen again.

It also looks like these garages are getting wise to dash cameras - both the front and rear cameras in the car did not record anything between the 15th to 21st but were both working today when I went to pick up the car - looks like they were disconnected while they were driving the car

regards

Phil
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:07pm
That's not good at all Phil. 
I can understand the dash cam thing and mine got disconnected at service time/new tyres too.
Let's hope the fault does not re-appear, but it is somewhat stressful driving the car to find out I'd think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic