FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

530 mile round trip - thoughts/ findings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Habu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 530 mile round trip - thoughts/ findings
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:40pm
Just thought I'd post here after my Sporty's first proper trip - a 530 mile round trip from North Yorkshire to Gloucestershire and back:

+ loads of power from the 2.0 CRDi 184bhp motor.  The thing just surges along
+ relatively refined even when cruising at around 70-80mph
+ nav is excellent (way better than anything I've had before from Lexus and Toyota)
+ mpg was very good.  I averaged 43 mpg and that was with 3 adults and a lot of weight in the Sporty
+ air conditioning and ventilation are very good 
+ 2 position tonneau cover is very good allowing the rear seats to really recline 
+ wife was comfy up front
+ USB in the rear is useful

- ventilated seats are not very good at all.  You get a coolish backside and groin but nothing up the back which is where I need it.  My previous Lexus' had fans in the seats so maybe Kia just relies on ducted air from up front?
- I've a slight lower back niggle but otherwise ok.  No back issue on the way down though
- I need to find that knocking/ clunking in the rear.  I've read this forum about obvious areas to look at and what to do

Cheers 

Peter 

Edited by Habu - 16 Jul 2017 at 5:43pm
Sponsored Links

ascsbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ascsbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:12pm
Thanks for the update. My new Sportage is on order so getting restless now. Mine only a KX3 but still interested to read your report. The rattle seems to be a general problem.
Andrew
Habu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
Thinking more about the back ache I had today driving home (especially given I didn't have any going down) I was walking around with kilos of camera gear yesterday from 07:00 to 18:00.  That would explain that so Sporty forgiven.

Another +  the auto box was silky smooth changing up and down.
KevinBattle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinBattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:48pm
530 miles? Hah! Just a spin round the block! Both our Sporty's have done UK to Mojacar and back with no issues. Wife has a very sensitive back and has never had a problem once the seat is set to her comfort position, drive 4 hours, stop for lunch, refuel if necessary switch drivers and another 4 or so hours. Virtually 130 kph all day.
Of course continental motorway driving is a doddle as there's rarely much traffic, often just a dot on the horizon front and back, so good to juggle cruise control as to whether to reach the car in front before the one behind arrives - or not.
Usually well loaded and 2 dogs asleep in the boot, never had the clunking either, but middle seat belt is always stowed and used as a restraint for the dogs harnesses, just so they don't jump out as soon as boot opened.
New 2016 shape 1.6 petrol T-GDi 7DCT White GT-Line Auto.
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:40pm
In May we had a machine in need of urgent repair back at our supplier in Leeds. 
We had a wonderful 3.5 hour drive from Gillingham to Leeds, arriving as they opened at 8am. The only delay was a bit of the M62. My wife & I are both chunky, and the machine took up the whole rear but we averaged 52mpg (A2, M25, M11, A14, A1, M62).
A good breakfast at a big Sainsbury's one junction up the M1 from the supplier and we were on the road with fixed machine at 11am.......home the same route in another 3.5 hours. We were truly blessed to have had such a good round trip in excellent weather with no hold ups and to have got over 50mpg from the 1.7 diesel which suffers no lack of power or torque imho.
As for the ventilated seats.....my wife hates it, I love it....and my back gets enough of a breeze from the fans but not quite as much as through the base judging by the tickle I get through my shorts Wink 

Edited by Signman - 17 Jul 2017 at 2:41pm
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 27k miles covered ave 47mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic