FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

2017 Optima GT Line S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ooorya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooorya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Optima GT Line S
    Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:46pm
Recently acquired a 2017 Optima GT Line S.

Love the spec but just wondered how others, if they have one, feel how it drives as it seems a bit jiggly on some roads even motorways, at times seems like the worst ride of any car I have owned.

Sponsored Links

Rod9669 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod9669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 7:23pm
Got the same car - 67 plate, 21,500 miles.  Mine seems fine, well planted.  Get them to check the tracking - has it had a bump?
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 8:35pm
Nov 16 model and I find the suspension a little firmer than I would like but the trade off is excellent roadholding round tight bends and chicanes.
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
ooorya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooorya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:20pm
Thanks for replying Rod, hope it hasn't had a bump, this was a Kia Approved car so there should not have been any problems with it.

Will give it another ride tomorrow down different roads and see if it wasn't just a really poor bit of road but the motorway I travelled on is one I have used thousands of times in many different cars and as I say not had a car feel as bad as the optima.
ooorya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooorya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:22pm
Thanks Indalo, love the car but for this ride problem, mine's an April 17 model with 14,750 miles on it.

Edited by ooorya - 19 Jun 2018 at 10:23pm
artscot79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artscot79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:31pm
Check the tyres the hancook tyres on the ceed were rubbish once changed the whole ride grip of the car changed
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by artscot79 artscot79 wrote:

Check the tyres the hancook tyres on the ceed were rubbish

KIA learned the lesson and changed to Michelin for the 2016 YM of the Optima range.  Although I found the Hankook tyres on my previous Hyundai i40 Tourer ok, the Michelins are just better at everything, wet or dry.

Edited by Indalo - 21 Jun 2018 at 8:34am
Indalo

ooorya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooorya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:42am
Thanks for the suggestion, checked the tyres and the front two are Continentals and the rears Michelin.
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by ooorya ooorya wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, checked the tyres and the front two are Continentals and the rears Michelin.

Now, that's interesting.  Although not at all impossible, it's certainly unusual for 18" tyres to be changed on a modern estate car at under 15,000 miles.  Not only that, I was under the impression that most tyre depots put a new pair on the rear, moving those on the rear to the front.

Given that, as I understand it, your model would have been equipped with Michelin ex-factory, why have equally expensive Contis been put on the front instead of Michelin?

Generally, estate cars aren't normally the car of choice for boy-racers, which might explain the need for a tyre change, so I'm wondering if there was/is a problem with the steering geometry causing both the tyre wear and the strange ride you mentioned.  If there is such a problem, as yet uncorrected, the former owner or even a dealer might simply have chosen to replace the worn fronts with tyres available on a special offer or whatever was in stock in that size in a dealership.

Indalo

aircraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by ooorya ooorya wrote:

Certainly something not right there.
There must be some under lying issue, and the tyre change was just a quick way to mask the problem.
I would get the dealer to do a 4 wheel laser alignment using Hunter equipment (if they have it).
And you should not be paying for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic