FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

2008 ceed refuses to start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 ceed refuses to start
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:14pm
hi people

i have a 2008 ceed sr7 1.4 petrol we have owned the car for 6 years without any issues whatsoever. however 2 days ago the car cut out whilst driving and wouldn't restart. so i phoned recovery, they checked for spark all good battery and alternator all good checked all fuses all good after all this they have tried diagnostics and came up (crankshaft sensor) after seeing this they recovered me home where i phoned kia and got a new genuine crankshaft sensor and fitted this no problems. tried to restart the car and nothing the car is cranking but not firing up..  after this phoned recovery to recover to my local garage.  when he came he checked everything again no fault-codes showing now checked the timing chain and that is good then recovered to my garage.  yesterday they phoned me and said that the car has to go to a auto electrician for deeper/further diagnostics on Monday morning possible ECU fault they have said that the car mechanically should fire up as they have checked everything..

after reading the forums i have seen a common issue of the immobilizer antenna would this cause the engine not to start and just to crank over.?? 

if not any other things it could be 

cheers
steve
Sponsored Links

grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:20pm
Check if your immobiliser light comes on when you switch on the ignition. It should come on and go out when the engine fires. If it does not come on at all this points to the antenna coil being the culprit. They usually fail intermittently at first. It's unusual for one to fail totally straight away
steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:39pm
hi yes it came on from memory and stayed on whilst trying to crank
steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:51pm
well thats it after 6 years and spending nothing on it just had to spend £600 on new timing chain with all diagnostics that has been done on it all fixed and running again it was the tensioner that had failed
mcsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:47pm
Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Not too bad after 6 Years.

Out of Interest
How many Miles has the Car done?
Regularly Serviced? Have heard missing oil changes can affect Timing Chains
Was it Kia or or Independant Garage?
What was the Parts/Labour Breakdown?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
Glad it's ok now. Did it need a new chain as well as the tensioner or were you playing safe?
steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:55pm
went for the full kit just to be on the safe side he said it was just the tensioner that had collapsed 
steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by mcsport mcsport wrote:

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Not too bad after 6 Years.

Out of Interest
How many Miles has the Car done?
Regularly Serviced? Have heard missing oil changes can affect Timing Chains
Was it Kia or or Independant Garage?
What was the Parts/Labour Breakdown?

milage is at 44500 miles 
full service history from kia dealer garage had to change oil as they said it was like water when they checked it was only serviced 2 months ago 

chain kit £155
labour for fitting £200
towing car £50
auto electrician £50
coolant change £13.50
+vat ontop

steverav1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steverav1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:00pm
labour inc oil change
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:06pm
It's that damn labour charge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic