FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

09 Plates 1.6CRDi 113bhp MPG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
2010Missbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2010Missbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 09 Plates 1.6CRDi 113bhp MPG
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:32am
Hi,
In the past I have had a  57 plate Cee'd 1.6CRDi LS 113bhp 5dr Hatch which I purchased when it was 6 months old with 8,000 on the clock. I had it until May last year (101k) when it was written off when someone drove into the back of me. I used to regularly get 51-54mpg in my car - I loved it and was devastated when the insurance company wrote it off!

I have just purchased an 09 plate car - exactly the same (2 owner - 1.6CRDi LS 113bhp 5dr Hatch) with 66k on the clock. It has always been serviced by Kia dealer (last one was done 6 months ago) but I am getting a VERY disappointing 46mpg.

My questions are - A/ does a Cee'd have a "driver memory"? If the previous keeper had a heavy foot etc - if it does - can it be "reset"?

B/ What can I do to improve this mpg?

I love the drive but can't believe two cars can differ so much in mpg.

Sponsored Links

Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:53am
How are you calculating your mpg?

Don't forget mpg can drop quite a bit in very cold weather.
Worth getting it scanned for fault codes to make sure there are no underlying faults.
There is no driver memory.

Edited by Sheets - 10 Jan 2017 at 9:54am
2010Missbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2010Missbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:48am
Thanks for the reply - I am using the average mpg on the trip computer. This was always spot-on on my old car.

I appreciate what you're saying about the cold but surely it would make it drop by 5mpg?

Can I ask one more thing? Would it only be a Kia garage that can scan for faults?

Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 2010Missbear 2010Missbear wrote:

Thanks for the reply - I am using the average mpg on the trip computer. This was always spot-on on my old car.

I appreciate what you're saying about the cold but surely it would make it drop by 5mpg?

Can I ask one more thing? Would it only be a Kia garage that can scan for faults?

Anyone with diagnostic kit can scan it.

The trip computer being accurate in your previous car is no guarantee of anything with a different car.

Brim to Brim full tank calculations is the best way to get accurate figures. Not just one tank either, as journey profiles and weather, traffic etc can have huge effects.
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:07pm
If it is automatic the previous drivers habit can be erased by disconnecting battery overnight or find the Auto fuse and pull that out overnight
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
mcsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 6:56pm
I have a 2008 LS 1.6Crdi 130K Miles and get around 45mpg - About 500 miles to a Tank.

Most ECUs adapt over time.
Give it a few Tanks of fuel and see if it improves.

I find my Fuel Computer quite accurate but as above the only way to be sure is to fill it, reset the Trip, empty it, fill up again and calculate MPG.
Munter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:30am
I usually get ~53mpg.  But yesterday on my usual run from the Midlands to Taunton, I got 49mpg.  Didn't get stuck in traffic, nothing wrong with the car.  Possibly wind direction, as on the way back I got my usual 53.

It doesn't take much to affect the MPG at these levels.  If I carry a passenger I'll expect to be in the high 40s.  But in your case it could be all sorts of things.

Lower Tyre Pressures.
Different (softer) tyre construction and compound.
Wheel alignment might be out.
More weight for a reason you've not thought of (a full tank will drop my MPG by 2 or 3)
To read codes I got an ELM327 bluetooth dongle thingy from Amazon.  Link it up to the phone and away you go.
2011 Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 Diesel
Mr Carrot Cake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Carrot Cake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 2:17pm
In the winter months mine seems to get 42-44mpg - not that great for a diesel. Seems to improve to about 47-49mpg in the summer.
Kia Cee'd 1.6CRDi LS (2008) 42,000miles
ade33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ade33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:12pm
In my two days (!) experience my 2009 1.6 diesel is returning 52mpg on the confuser, driving 'normally' for me. I'm happy with that, especially given the low temps.
twisterboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 4:09pm
Mine at the minute is averaging 35mpg mostly because it's just taking the wee lad to nursery and not getting the chance to warm up!

Davy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic